Polaris ATV Forum banner

Recall Procedures?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JustThatDude 
#1 ·
I have a 06' Hawkeye that maybe on the recall list and was wondering what my specifications have to be in order to receive it. My main question is does it have to be in working because I haven't done maintenance on it in 2 to 3 years and they have been sitting outside. Also if they do accept with it not running would they do maintenance for it and make it run again because that would be great as I have little money to spend.

#2 ·
You call the dealer, give them your vin and they will verify if it needs to be done. If it all checks out, they will do the recall at no cost to you.

If its not running when it goes in, don't expect it to be running when you get it back. Also don't expect them to do any maintenance to it unless you're paying for it.

There isn't a chance the recall will fix other issues or also provide maintenance. It strictly just covers what the recall is.

And if I remember right the hawkeye recall is putting 6 holes with plugs in the airbox to help with higher elevation since each plug can be removed to let more air in.

That's all they will do.

#4 ·
If they had to fix the non running issue to do the recall, then you would be charged for that part of it, recalls pay for the work in the recall work instructions to be done, no matter if its a Polaris ATV, a Freightliner Truck, or a Maytag Washing machine

#6 ·
You are not going to get anything extra from the recall program from any manufacturer. I have been on the other side of that situation in a past life working as a Mechanic in a Chevrolet Dealership. We hated doing any recalls as you almost always came out on the short end of things.

Fred

#7 ·
Yes, and Polaris is no different. The mechanic is lucky if he breaks even on the doing the recall, most of the time they end up working for free on the recall.

I was thinking about this a little more. You can bet Polaris has some of the most high powered attorneys money can buy, and they've covered themselves here.

So lets say legally, they can't reject any machine that is due for a recall, to do a recall for any reason. And lets say legally, they have to test ride the machine.

So they can't reject your non-running machines for the recall, and they have to test ride them to be legal...what do they do?

They would get them running, complete the recall, test ride them, and then bill you for the parts and labor to get them running. The recall of course would be free.

You wouldn't get the machines back until you paid that bill. At some point if you didn't pay, you would forfeit your machines, which they would sell to pay the bill on them.

Just like if you took it in for service. You don't get them back until you pay for it.

That's how it'll go down.

#10 ·
Yes, and Polaris is no different. The mechanic is lucky if he breaks even on the doing the recall, most of the time they end up working for free on the recall.

I was thinking about this a little more. You can bet Polaris has some of the most high powered attorneys money can buy, and they've covered themselves here.

So lets say legally, they can't reject any machine that is due for a recall, to do a recall for any reason. And lets say legally, they have to test ride the machine.

So they can't reject your non-running machines for the recall, and they have to test ride them to be legal...what do they do?

They would get them running, complete the recall, test ride them, and then bill you for the parts and labor to get them running. The recall of course would be free.

You wouldn't get the machines back until you paid that bill. At some point if you didn't pay, you would forfeit your machines, which they would sell to pay the bill on them.

Just like if you took it in for service. You don't get them back until you pay for it.

That's how it'll go down.
Ok thank you
No problem. If you need help getting them running feel free to start a new thread with what the machines are and the situation.

If you have just a little bit of mechanical know how, you can probably get them running again on the cheap.
I started a thread a little but ago but no one really gave me a tutorial or something to go by with diagrams and stuff. Hopefully maybe you could answer i'll bumb the thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.