Polaris ATV Forum banner

Winch Mounting Plates?

32K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Goemado 
#1 ·
I'm planning a winch install on my son's 2010 Sportsman Touring. Considering the Terra 3500 Senthetic Rope based on price and expected use.

Is a mounting plate REALLY needed? By that, I mean is a special plate required? It looks like the Superwinch mount plate sticks way out in front of the ATV, and I don't quite understand why it's as complicated as it is for what it's doing. It has a fairlead mount, but the winch comes with a fairlead installed, right? Can't I just drill a steel plate with the appropriate mounting holes and be done with it simply?

Amazon photo:

See less See more
#3 ·
The radiator has been raised and pushed back on 2012.
As fas as just making a plate. Not sure you would get the rigidity you would need with just a plate with holes. My MOOSE mount kit is a fully enclosed " case" for the winch. VERY SOLID.

#6 ·
Its worth a shot for sure. Im all for makin my own s@#t ! Made a gas can mount for 3$ and a pc of scrap from work. Holds a reg 2 gal can just fine!

Reactions: Corbett1973
#7 ·
The proper mount positions the winch inside the front end housing (see picture of my ride) and gives proper support for the winch to the frame. The other pic is the type of mount I used on my 2006 Sportsman (same as a 2010 model).

#10 ·
the picture you have is not of a 2010 sportsman. it looks to be round a 2004 ish. mid production change. as that looks really close to a 2000 ish yrs as the head lights aren't triangleish. there still rectangle and the outside of the front plastic bumper it closed on the outside. the 2000's weren't and neither are the 2008 gen style. im not shure of when to when to when they stoped and started the desine changes.
but that's not a 2010.

#11 · (Edited)
A 2010 mount should look something like this...

And be tucked into the front grill like this (some more & some less, depending on manufacturer)....

With the Warn mount & winch.... if a hole is cut into the grill center piece it can somewhat hide/protect the winch. As on my wifes 2005.....
(Note: hole cut wider than fairlead on left hand side to allow for easy access to flip free spool knob.)

Or the center grill cover can be removed, as Spiral did.....

All depends on how much work you want to put into it and the look you are going for! :fing02:

As for making your own.... pull the front grill cover off, hooks from top & snaps into bottom (if I remember right) and see if a simple homemade plate will work with the winch you have or are going to purchase. Than just a couple bolts or square btm u-bolts and whalaa... it's mounted!!

For as cheap as the bent and powder coated mounts are $55-75.... I'd just buy one. And I'm generally the "homemade" type. Just my $0.02

#12 ·
Hi,

Thought I'd post this here to save another thread.

Can any tell me what winch brands are supported by a Polaris winch mount in general? I have a 2012 550X2 and I'm looking at aftermarket winches, are the mounting hole patterns the same or will I need to get creative?

I have not yet narrowed down the brands, it makes sense that these holes would be fairly consistent I'd imagine?

Also where is the best place to source a quality mount? I'm in Australia.

Thanks all

Matt

#13 ·
I'm not sure on the XP line, the value line need a mount purchased. The mount holes on the winches are pretty universal and fit almost any mount

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.