what clutch kit for a 2011 500 sportsman? - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

what clutch kit for a 2011 500 sportsman?

would like to put a clutch kit on my sportsman 500 to make it more fun on the trails. looking at epi and qsc. quad is stock, plan to up grade to 26 inch tires when stock wear out. I live in ohio so not sure elevation. I do use it to plow a few times a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Just go ahead and call Adam at Quadshop Customs. He will set you up with exactly what you need for your riding style, rather than just pulling a generic kit off the shelf.

2009 SPORTSMAN 800 H.O.
RUBBER DOWN CUSTOMS 2" LIFT
EPI HD SPRINGS
29.5 S/W OUTLAWS ON ITP SS312
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV BILLET CAGE IN FRONT DIFF.
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
WELDED LOW GEAR IN TRANSMISSION
QUAD SHOP CUSTOMS CLUTCHING
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH SNORKLE
TRIANGLE ATV REAR RACK PLATE WITH AMMO CANS
RIDE N'REST BACKREST W/FROSTY BEVERAGE HOLDER
K&N AIR FILTER
PURE POLARIS FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR RACK EXTENDERS
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

While I have no doubt that QSC would make a fine kit for your machine it should be noted that the EPI sport utility kit will also work for your application. It's what I have in mine and provides what you stated you are looking for. If you were looking for a mud machine this would be a different story.

My only word of caution is to be wary of engagement with the primary spring they send in the kit. The red one that typically comes in the kit raises engagement to about 2200 RPM which felt terrible. I went down to a gold. The engagement is about 1800 RPM and it performs well.

2013 Polaris XP 850 HO LE EPS
  • Full Ricochet Armor (Black Anodized), ATV GURU Cobra F & R Brush Guards, Polaris L&R rear box w/Backrest & Bags, Scrambler LE Hand Guards, Symtec Heat Demon Grips, Rotopax 2+2
2017 Can-Am Outlander 1000 Max XTP
  • Stock-because it comes with everything you need from the factory!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 04:17 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Going to watch this post . Thinking of doing the same
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Live in Ohio and have 500. I have 26" Bighorns and put on the EPI sport utility kit. Very happy with it. Right about the engagement, but I keep the spring they sent and its not to big a deal to me. Just personal preference.

2006 Sportsman 500 efi, Polaris 3500 Winch, uni Filter, Oary Grips,Maxxis Bighorns, 2" lift, Brush Guard, Bark Busters
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I am looking at clutch kits too and i was just talking to someone who had the epi kit and it ended up melting his primary clutch because it gets too hot, lost cause is right,... call adam at qsc, seems to be one of the only ones without problems

2012 500 sportsman
heat demon grips
glacier III plow
rear rack extender
26" zillas on itp delta steels
ice screws in stockers for plowing
modded rear rack seat+storage
2x camo rotopax 1 gal up front
ram mount gyro bevy holder
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuadman View Post
I am looking at clutch kits too and i was just talking to someone who had the epi kit and it ended up melting his primary clutch because it gets too hot, lost cause is right,... call adam at qsc, seems to be one of the only ones without problems
Wow that's crazy.

My first question would be about how he was using his machine. Was he mudding with heavy mud tires? These seem to be the people who have had issues with the EPI kits. I have not seen anyone or read of anyone who melted a solid steel clutch just riding the trails.

2013 Polaris XP 850 HO LE EPS
  • Full Ricochet Armor (Black Anodized), ATV GURU Cobra F & R Brush Guards, Polaris L&R rear box w/Backrest & Bags, Scrambler LE Hand Guards, Symtec Heat Demon Grips, Rotopax 2+2
2017 Can-Am Outlander 1000 Max XTP
  • Stock-because it comes with everything you need from the factory!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I have run both EPI and QSC. I am not saying that EPI won't fit your need, just that QSC will do it better. Again, EPI is a great manufacturer, but they will send you a generic, off the shelf kit that will fit a range of tire sizes and riding styles. If you call Adam, he will send you a setup that will work for your exact setup. bgirard420 even states that he currently runs an EPI kit, but had to modify it to his liking.

2009 SPORTSMAN 800 H.O.
RUBBER DOWN CUSTOMS 2" LIFT
EPI HD SPRINGS
29.5 S/W OUTLAWS ON ITP SS312
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV BILLET CAGE IN FRONT DIFF.
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
WELDED LOW GEAR IN TRANSMISSION
QUAD SHOP CUSTOMS CLUTCHING
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH SNORKLE
TRIANGLE ATV REAR RACK PLATE WITH AMMO CANS
RIDE N'REST BACKREST W/FROSTY BEVERAGE HOLDER
K&N AIR FILTER
PURE POLARIS FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR RACK EXTENDERS
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

this is not going to be a mud machine. There will be some mud on the trails, but I'm not going mud bogging. So if I ordered the epi kit, I would also have to order the gold spring to make it smoother? I need it to be smooth for plowing. I sent qsc an email, but have not heard back.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost cause View Post
I have run both EPI and QSC. I am not saying that EPI won't fit your need, just that QSC will do it better. Again, EPI is a great manufacturer, but they will send you a generic, off the shelf kit that will fit a range of tire sizes and riding styles. If you call Adam, he will send you a setup that will work for your exact setup. bgirard420 even states that he currently runs an EPI kit, but had to modify it to his liking.

Couldnt say it any better.

2012 Sportsman 800
-Engine
-4 Tires

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode