brake question - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

brake question

I am interested in buying a sportsman touring and have a question about the whole braking system. Per another post I understand how the auto system works. My question is how good are the brakes on a hill without using the auto system. I know when I ride with a group I wouldn't want to have to use the auto system which might slow everyone else down. I don't know how comfortable I would be with one brake lever for all brakes lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

There's always the rear brakes on a foot pedal, and it just depends on the angle of said hill, or a slight hill, the EBS works just as good as using the brakes. If you are going down some serious hills, use both, nobody will care; when going down a hill, I don't think anybody will notice that you have the EBS, only you.

2000 Sportsman 500 RSE 4x4 rear seat/toolbox, k/n air filter, ITP MudLite tires
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg. cab, short bed, 5.7L HEMI, flow master exhaust, k/n filter, pioneer sound system, JL subwoofer, kicker amp, srt-10 hood, srt-10 wing, 4.56 gears, falken tires, 2-4" lowering kit
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

The single lever brake system works real well. The auto system works equally as well. You can also give it some throttle even with the EBS auto system to control how fast or slow you are going. Everyone in your group will take the hill at what ever speed they are comfortable with any way. You should do the same.

2012 550 Sportsman XP EPS Magnetic Metallic
Polaris 2500 winch
Polaris Glacier II+ 60" plow system
FallLine ware bar cutting edge
Polaris Front storage box
Guru front bumper
Wes AR 38 Box/Seat-modified (Lock and Ride)
Rear fender guards with foot pegs (ATV SuperStore)
Ricochet Armor Anodized (ATV SuperStore)

StarRider by Foreigner
Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FDJTsyWVeaM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

must have misread something

I thought once you hit the brakes or throtle (sp) is disengaged the ebc?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The ADC will disengage if you use the throttle. Using the brakes will not affect it. The engine brake works whenever you get out of the throttle. You can't shut it off. The single brake lever is just like the brake pedal in your car, don't be afraid of it.
Descend the hill at whatever speed you are comfortable with and don't worry what anyone else thinks.

2018 Polaris General 1000, Elka Stage 2 Shocks, 29" Tusk Warthogs, Polaris 4,500 lb. winch, Factory UTV Skid Plates, Dux Turn Signal/Horn Kit, EMP Cooter Brown Roof, Ryfab Folding Glass Windshield, Spring Brake Thingy
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn XT25, Iron Baltic HDPE Skid Plates (Mine)
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn Vantage 3000, Elka Stage 1 Shocks, Warn Mid-Mount Plow (Wife's)

2011 XP 850 EPS (SOLD 3,600 miles), 28" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD2 Wheels, Warn XT25, Ricochet Ultimate protection, Elka Stage 1 shocks, QSC clutch kit
2009 Sportsman 500 EFI HO (SOLD 2,600 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch, Cycle Country plow (Wife's)
2007 Sportsman 800 X2 (SOLD 2,500 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwingrider View Post
I thought once you hit the brakes or throtle (sp) is disengaged the ebc?
With EBS, it disengages when you hit the throttle. Hitting the brakes just gives you EBS and braking ability. That is built into the primary clutch on EBS model bikes. There is a different system call ADC that is different from the EBS.

As for how good they are, I have and 850 and I have yet to fully pull back on the lever due to it having more then enough ability to make it feel like its gonna nose down and flip. I'm not a fan of the single rear brake, but since I hardly use them, its a non-factor. Going down hill with ADC is awesome cause if its really challenging and technical it'll just crawl down at idle doing less then 5 mph, a quick blip of the throttle disengages that system to allow it to pick up momentum and etc.

DO NOT EVER care about slowing anyone down while going up or down a hill. If the group you ride with does, then find a different group as safety is obviously not their priority. A good group will let people go up and down one at a time (depending on terrain) and make sure everyone is safe and responsible. Besides, is saving a minute or two really going to be worth it if you wreck due to going faster then your skill ability? Injuries aren't cheap
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

okay

so what turns the adc on, in the pics i have seen I can't see a button although Im sure there is one. By the way this is great information, I now understand how both of those work. Not to worry safety first is allways my moto. If in doubt I allways let the wife try it first lol.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

It's on the 4x4 switch

2013 850ho
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

so since i have you folks here are any of you touring riders (2 up) if so how do you find them going uphill? does the front get light pretty easy or is the weight distribution such that it isnt much different than a one up
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwingrider View Post
so what turns the adc on, in the pics i have seen I can't see a button although Im sure there is one. By the way this is great information, I now understand how both of those work. Not to worry safety first is allways my moto. If in doubt I allways let the wife try it first lol.
If your model has it, it'll be on the 4x4 switch, right handle bar like B.Sutton said. It'll say ADC 4x4, 4x4, 2x4. When you select ADC it takes 4 things to make the ADC engage. On an 850 they are:

Active Descent Control (ADC) System
The ADC system allows engine braking to all four wheels when the
vehicle descends a hill or incline. Always move the 4X4 switch to ADC
4X4 before ascending or descending a hill.
Engaging Active Descent Control
The ADC system will automatically engage when all four of the following
conditions occur:
The 4X4 switch must be in the ADC 4X4 position
Vehicle speed must be 15 mph (25 km/h) or less
The throttle must be closed (throttle lever released)
The transmission must be in gear (high, low or reverse)
Disengaging Active Descent Control
The ADC system will automatically disengage if at least one of the following
conditions occur:
The 4X4 switch is moved out of the ADC 4X4 position
Vehicle speed exceeds 15 mph (25 km/h)
The throttle is open (throttle is applied)
The transmission is shifted to neutral or park

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode