anybody have any comments on this review - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

anybody have any comments on this review

Damn this guy had some serious issues with his sportsman touring. I have seen other reviews he has done on polaris units that he loves. Was this just a fluke or did this particular year have a bad run of gremlins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

wow, thats a frustrated dude.. The adc issues aside, it sounded to me like his frustrations with the dealer are what really got to him.. Man, if a professional atv testing crew with a t.v show can't get a dealer to call him back, what hope is there for the rest of us..ha!..
Don't know what to say about the adc problems he was having.. The system on my 2010 850 Touring has worked flawlessly from day one.. I was surprised to hear him say that he wished the adc worked all the time.. Its way to strong to be used above 15 mph. Thats why its specifically for slow decents only.. Alot of guys don't use their adc at all because its so strong it can cause a bit of a skid down hills on loose sand or slippery mud.. The xp's already have great "engine braking".. I put it in quotes because the xp has a cvt tranny.. Its not engine braking.. When you let off the throttle and the machine slows it'self down. That action is electronic and simply mimics traditional engine braking.. Its not the engine at all thats slowing the machine down.. Personally I think it works great.. Back to his issue with the dealer.. I continue to be stunned by some of the experiences guys have with power sports dealers.. Not just polaris either.. From sales people and techs that don't seem to know anything about their own products to plain old bad customer service just like this guy described.. Weeks going by without so much as a phone call, let alone a solution.. Terrible..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Seems that his problems were electronic and support. When I bought mine, I was worried about the electronics. As someone who sells industrial electronics, I expect them to fail. Just something I was willing to roll the dice with. Seems like a little bit of brake, and you can get around the decent control problem.

The support thing is something I am experiencing first hand. When I first bought my XP, I contacted Polaris. I say contacted (email) because I couldn't find a tech support number (kinda telling). The dealer I bought my machine from (Family Powersports of Midland) not only treats me as a stranger every time I walk through the door, but when I order a part, they act like they have no idea of what I am talking about or really care. To have so little support after spending so much money, is really frustrating.

Any who, I do love my XP!

Happy trails

2013 Sportsman XP 850 EPS Stealth LE
Right Hand Brake Mod (Suzuki)
Lock and Ride Rear Cargo Box
Richocet A Arm Guards Red (maroon) Anodized
Lock & Ride Gun Rack
Winch Saver
Polaris Wireless Winch Remote

2001 Honda Foreman 450S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Oh yeah, all the problems I have had have been operator error so far. The machine is brilliant.

Happy trails

Lock & Ride Gun Rack
Winch Saver

2001 Honda Foreman 450S

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

dealers' ugh

What really cracks me up is that the sales rep where I live has no idea of the polaris blogs for rzr, quads etc. I am amazed that as a sales rep he wouldn't be reading them daily so he had answers for the questions that were sure to come up. When I was thinking of buying a rzr there was an issue with the air box tube. He'd never even heard of what I was talking about. The really SAD thing is when you spend a grand on a toy or twenty or thirty thousand on a car once you leave they don't give a rats a** about follow up service and customer support. Sad times
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I followed that test on another forum. The key thing he said in that video is that he didn't understand how it worked. He didn't ride it, a friend of his put almost all the miles on it. The guy doing the riding is one who can't take anyone disagreeing with him. (on anything) He rode with the adc on all the time. I suggested to him to turn it on only when he needed it. Didn't care for that suggestion. I told him how sensitive the adc system is to dirty fluid, and if he left it on all the time, the demand drive fluid would need to be changed much more often. As it was just a test machine, it only got serviced at the suggested intervals, so it always had dirty fluid in it. When they got the 850, he started to complain about the adc on it as well. I asked if they understood what it was for and how it worked and when to use it? Again, didn't care for me questioning them. They rode the snot out of those atv's, and about all they could find to complain about was the adc. I'm thinking that was an issue caused more by operator error than any issue with the atv. The dealer statements kind of back that up. When used properly, it worked for them. Anyhow, I wouldn't pay too much attention to his thoughts on Polaris's "bad" design.

2018 Polaris General 1000, Elka Stage 2 Shocks, 29" Tusk Warthogs, Polaris 4,500 lb. winch, Factory UTV Skid Plates, Dux Turn Signal/Horn Kit, EMP Cooter Brown Roof, Ryfab Folding Glass Windshield, Spring Brake Thingy
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn XT25, Iron Baltic HDPE Skid Plates (Mine)
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn Vantage 3000, Elka Stage 1 Shocks, Warn Mid-Mount Plow (Wife's)

2011 XP 850 EPS (SOLD 3,600 miles), 28" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD2 Wheels, Warn XT25, Ricochet Ultimate protection, Elka Stage 1 shocks, QSC clutch kit
2009 Sportsman 500 EFI HO (SOLD 2,600 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch, Cycle Country plow (Wife's)
2007 Sportsman 800 X2 (SOLD 2,500 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
I followed that test on another forum. The key thing he said in that video is that he didn't understand how it worked. He didn't ride it, a friend of his put almost all the miles on it. The guy doing the riding is one who can't take anyone disagreeing with him. (on anything) He rode with the adc on all the time. I suggested to him to turn it on only when he needed it. Didn't care for that suggestion. I told him how sensitive the adc system is to dirty fluid, and if he left it on all the time, the demand drive fluid would need to be changed much more often. As it was just a test machine, it only got serviced at the suggested intervals, so it always had dirty fluid in it. When they got the 850, he started to complain about the adc on it as well. I asked if they understood what it was for and how it worked and when to use it? Again, didn't care for me questioning them. They rode the snot out of those atv's, and about all they could find to complain about was the adc. I'm thinking that was an issue caused more by operator error than any issue with the atv. The dealer statements kind of back that up. When used properly, it worked for them. Anyhow, I wouldn't pay too much attention to his thoughts on Polaris's "bad" design.

That really explains a lot. I know that I have come off the steep side of a sand dune (maybe 40 degrees) and the ADC worked incredibly well. Without using any brake, I never went above 10 miles per hour.

Great input BOB!

Happy trails

Lock & Ride Gun Rack
Winch Saver

2001 Honda Foreman 450S

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

The guy seems like a tool and doesn't really know the how the systems on this ATV are supposed to work. He isn't even the one who put all the miles on the atv. His gripes seem to be more about support from the dealer. Unless you know someone really well at a dealership, do not expect to get good service. Every once in a while you will find a good dealership, but it is few and far between. Most of the time they will also find issues with why they can not warrenty a machine. The review started off ok, but then he just went on and on about the ADC, which he admitted he knew nothing about.

2009 SPORTSMAN 800 H.O.
RUBBER DOWN CUSTOMS 2" LIFT
EPI HD SPRINGS
29.5 S/W OUTLAWS ON ITP SS312
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV BILLET CAGE IN FRONT DIFF.
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
WELDED LOW GEAR IN TRANSMISSION
QUAD SHOP CUSTOMS CLUTCHING
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH SNORKLE
TRIANGLE ATV REAR RACK PLATE WITH AMMO CANS
RIDE N'REST BACKREST W/FROSTY BEVERAGE HOLDER
K&N AIR FILTER
PURE POLARIS FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR RACK EXTENDERS
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Doug Myers is an idiot , he has dissed Polaris forever , he likes Susukis, I wont even watch his show anymore.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
Doug Myers is an idiot , he has dissed Polaris forever , he likes Susukis, I wont even watch his show anymore.
I was thinking of getting a rzr first and I watched some of his upgrade shows on the rzr. When he added uhmw slider since they stuck out a bit he just cut if off. Really you pay that much for a piece of skid plate protection and you cut it up. Hmmmmm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode