Polaris ATV Forum banner

Help choosing a Winch??

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  gibbons025 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 800 and am looking to put a winch on. I'm interested in the SuperWinch Terra 25 SR but was also looking for recommendations, and or if anyone had experience with SuperWinch and could give me some feedback on quality, mounting, etc.

Also I was wondering on wiring the winch? Is it pretty easy to install?

Basically anything you could think of to help me out. I've never had a winch on any of my ATV's and will be doing alot of riding next year with my 4 year old son and I don't want to get stuck out in the woods with him. Thanks.

#2 ·
I bought the warn 3.0RT that polaris sells as a kit for our bikes. Chk the warn site out they have a couple of different model lines.

As far as install my warn bolted right up and the bike is pre-wired for a winch.

#3 ·
Don't make it sound too easy. The only thing pre-wired is the main positive and negative wires. Get a winch that is model designed and most of the problems are over. I have a 3500 # venom that was sportsman specific and it went together easily. The hardest part is planning how to run the control wires, and where to locate the contactor and switches. It's not too hard just a little time consuming on your first install. Get a good kit, watch some install vids on you tube and follow the directions and you will get it done

#4 ·
Just installed a superwinch terra 3500 lb winch, can't have to much winch in my opinion, it was 179 from amazon free shipping, comes with handheld remote, handlebar mounted remote, and all wiring. IMO very nice setup, most guys on here are mounting the solenoid on the radiator support, I put mine under the front rack (850 xp) I plasti dipped the solenoid and fuse block. The mounting plate was only 59 bucks free shipping as well, I also got a hook rubber stopper. I would also recommend at a minimum a tree saver strap, gloves, snatch block for double line pull or angle pull.

#7 ·
I actually put my contactor inside the front rack storage. Never have to worry about it getting too dirty in there and also well protected from the weather and trial debris and obstacles. Ran the wires up through the storage drain holes and it made for a very clean installation.

#5 ·
SuperWinch is a good quality brand at a fare price..... I had either a #2500 or #3000 ATV model SuperWinch on my last Honda (2005 Foreman). It worked flawlessly for the 4-5 years I used it for lifting/lowering the plow for winter plowing and the few times a summer I'd need it for a little assisance getting un-stuck!

I'd say you coun't go wrong with a SuperWinch for the price!!

But another highly recommended winch (no personal experiance) is the Bad Lands #3000-3500(??) by Harbor Freight.

#9 ·
The LE came with a box but you can buy it for $150 or so. It is much better than the one on my 08 500HO.

#10 ·
#13 ·
Huntr, the venom 3500# winch was 186.00 and that price included the model specific mounting plate. They are definitely worth looking at. Good kit and had everything included for the sportsman

#18 · (Edited)
Winches are winches, and they either come with a universal mount or a model specific mount, or you have to buy a mount or make your own. All winches need a mount of some kind so that you can attach them to your atv

Superwinch, Warn, Polaris, are just names for the winches. Undoubtedly Pure Polaris winches probably mount the easiest of any model specific, because of the contactor actually designed to mount on the existing holes of the frame, but other than that any model specific winch will be fairly easy to mount. All model specific winches should come with a model specific plate, and all the hardware to make it work. As far as a superwinch being something special compared to the others, they aren't, just another company producing winches. Some people like them and others like other brands

#16 ·
My vote is the Terra Superwinch. Mine has exceeded my expectations.

#17 ·
Warn is cheapest at Rocky Mountain ATV. I had a viper, a warn and a stock polaris(maybe a warn). My Viper was a POS, the warn was great and the polaris has been good to me.

#22 ·
Winches alone don't come with the mounting bracket....so I would say it will install fine but you are going to have to buy a model specific winch mount. This happens with all winches that aren't sold as a model specific package

#23 ·
I started out buying just Warn winches and never had any problems. When Polaris came out with there version I started buying them and they have always been great when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.