What to watch for - 2001 Sportsman - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

What to watch for - 2001 Sportsman

I am new to the forums and new to ATV ownership. I bought a 2001 Sportsman with 2,800 miles on it. I got it from a farmer friend that took very good care of it and has had no problems (he bought it new). It has never been ridden hard, let alone abused. It was used for field inspecting, some spraying, and just driving around the farm. Still has original tires.

My question is what should I begin to look out for with potential maintenance issues? I think everything but normal maintenance is original. I did just have the machine "gone over" by a farmer that does motorcycle and ATV service on the side. He changed all fluids, plug, filters, and greased. Pulled wheels and inspected brakes, boots, etc. He said everything looks good. But I know with a 13 year old machine, I can expect some issues, just hope nothing major...

Any advice or preventative things I can do is appreciated.

2001 Sportsman 500 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

There's no real weak points to these year machines that I can see yet, I have an 01 also with 3700 miles and I've only done reg maintenance. I went over mine when I got it and just changed all the fluids,the front ball joints, i needed a hall effect sensor (speedo wasn't working) and I changed my main center driveshaft universal joint. These parts were not totally worn out but I like to keep my machine in as good shape as I can.
The key switch is common to stop working I guess. You need the key to be turned "on" to start the machine, but it doesn't shut off the bike when you turn it off. You need to use the kill switch. If you turn the key halfway off, it kills the bike though. I just bought a new key switch off ebay for $20 shipped to me.

Good luck with yours, I'm happy with mine!

Kevin
2001 Sportsman 500 HO
2006 Honda Rincon 680
Famous saying......" I'm going to the garage" !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode