Polaris ATV Forum banner

Front Drivetrain Problems (Video)

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  al53 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I think I got an issue with my front prop shaft and input shaft on my Sportsman, here's a video and some pictures. I hope I don't need to spend too much cash for this fix....:yell:

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
How many miles on the bike? I think you could get away with the shaft for some time yet as the torque is spread out over all the splines. However If you are having a shaft seal issue also, I would replace the output shaft bearings and seals and be done with it.

#3 ·
Its got 2500 miles on it, i bought i seal repair kit awhile back and it still didnt fix the leak but i never bought the bearing. I put the old seal in it tonight ran it around in 4wd and 2wd got back in the garage and no leakage..I'm just going to have to watch that leak. And for that prop shaft, it just seems like it moves too much but then again this is my first sportsman. Never thought about the torque distribution though.

#5 ·
Not sure what year your bike is, but my 2001 has the same amount of play at that joint. I noticed it when I changed my universal joint. No issues with it though....
If a new seal doesn't fix your issue, then maybe the shaft has too big of a groove in it and has to be replaced if that's possible....

#8 ·
I just ordered the shaft sleeve, figure that is a little bit more reasonable than the new $250 input shaft. I'll order the bearing and seal kit sometime next week. I won't be around my wheeler till the end of march but I'll let you know what happens

#10 ·
Okay so I got the new input seal in along with a new needle bearing, rear bearing on the input shaft, and repair sleeve on the front of the input shaft in the front diff, no leaks yet. That sleeve that pounds into the front diff was just a mangled piece of metal when i pulled the snap rings and the input shaft out. I Tried putting that speedie sleeve in and had to cut it off so I could get the needle bearing back on, I thought the bearing would slide right over it but I guess not. I'm going riding this weekend so I'll see if it holds up to the abuse.

#13 · (Edited)
looking at the picture..does your shaft yoke have broken splines inside..just looks like it in the picture..not on your input shaft..but they look like they are worn tapered to the rear on input shaft and one looks to have a nick in it on left side..blow the pics up and look

#14 ·
All the splines are there, the yoke is just loose on the input shaft when the roll pin is inserted. I actually got some good input in a pm when I first posted this, someone drilled holes in the yoke opposite of the roll pin holes and tapped the holes and inserted set screws..not a bad idea I thought. Just haven't got around to it yet. I'm just happy that the shaft isn't leaking anymore because if oil can get out, water can get in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.