Polaris ATV Forum banner

hill climbing on a touring quad

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  bobx2 
#1 ·
Hello All:
will a touring ATV like the 2013 850 Touring model climb as steep a hill with two people onboard as one up sportsman? If they can't go where a one up sportsman can go than they would not be able to go on rides with a group for instance. That would seem to lessen the appeal for two up machine, if that's the case. I know there must be some touring Quad guys and girls out there that can answer my questions.
Thanks Ed

#2 ·
In my opinion, it's just very foolish and extremely reckless to be climbing steep places with a passenger no matter what machine your have. If I go up something and flip and get hurt it was MY decision and I'll live (or die) with it. If I flip with a passenger and get them hurt or worse, I was being reckless with someone else's life and deserve whatever consequences may result from my foolishness.
Just my $.02!

#4 ·
I agree 100%. I feel the touring model and 2-up riding is for casual leisurely riding. The only way to attempt technical climbs and extreme trail sections is to have the passenger get off while this is being attempted.

#3 ·
the quick answer is yes.. The safe answer is no.. The touring is a hill climbing animal.. The extra length combined with the monster 850 makes it an ideal steep hill climber.. However.. NOT with a passenger.. Minor inclines, of course.. I always made my passenger dismount for steep climbes and to be honest when it was my wife, she actually enjoyed walking up the hills rather than riding.. She got to stretch her legs and look around while my jack ass friends and I figured out how to get over or through big obstacles.. Your geography may be different, but I don't think most recreational riders come accross to many really steep hills to climb in a day of riding.. Having the passenger dismount a few times in a day is nothin'..

#5 ·
agreed. I have done some steep rocky stuff with a passenger, but when it really gets bad have them get off and walk or even spot for you. Then the added length allows you to go where the other single up atvs cant.
Down is a little better. More weight in the back coupled with longer length really make a difference.

#6 ·
It seems that the scenario your talking about is a dangerous one. A touring will probably get up something just as steep as a one up with 2 on board the touring. If you wouldn't be scared of danger on a one up, then you wouldn't be scared riding 2 on a touring. In my opinion, a touring is just as physically capable loaded. If you're at low risk on a one up, it'll be the same on a touring. The same goes for high risk. Of course it's every operator's responsibility not to put a passenger in danger

#14 ·
I think this is the best response in this thread. I couldn't agree more. The extra length of the wheel base, along with the different suspension set up makes the Touring and the X2 an extremely stable platform.

#8 ·
I agree with what everyone has said on this thread so far. Very foolish to risk someone elses life, I make my wife get off if its gonna be a steep spot on the trail.

#9 ·
Actually a 2up is a lot better for going up hills there a little bit longer and the back suspension is set and angled back to make it more comfortable and have less sag when your riding with a passenger. Which also makes the centre of gravity more to the rear. Which also makes it very hard to catwalk!!

#10 ·
2 up hillclimbing

Hello, and thanks for all the replies, I have a 2011 550 X2 that is a two up and I've climbed some big hills with it, riding by myself. I have only had a passenger twice and I took it nice and easy with them. But I still needed to hear other people's opinion when it comes to riding 2 UP. The manual say's not to exceed a 15 percent grade, and my driveway is steeper them that, so it is important to get a more reasonable guide to hill climbing. I live in Lake Havasu City, AZ and it is only 5 min. to the Desert where I ride and there are many hundreds of trails to ride, but some are a lot steeper than others and it changes, year to year due to Monsoon rains that wash out trails. And make big ruts in others. Keep the replies coming.
Thanks Ed

#11 ·
Don't base it on the steepness alone. More than anything its the severity of the climb. I could go straight up if the trail was smooth, dunes for instance. But even a slight incline with a washed out and rutted trail becomes difficult.
I noticed the one thing that make a difference while climbing these with a passenger is momentum. Even if you are creeping in low gear, do not stop. If you stop you have a much higher chance of pulling the front end off the ground. Try it on some smaller stuff and it will surprise you.

#12 ·
Alot of good info been posted. Ive had them both. Touring is awsome hill climber. But every situation can be different. If driver needs to lean foward to bars. The passenger should Be right close to him or her. You dont want to back flip. If in doubt definitely have passenger walk the hill. Saftey is #1 no matter what.

#13 ·
When I had my 850 touring it was much easier to go up hills that I was more worried about flipping over backwards with a single seat machine. Like everyone else said, if you feel you are going over any terrain that places the passenger in danger have them get off and walk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.