Polaris ATV Forum banner

'03 500 Sportsman HO plunging joint question

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  cptnjarhead 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I just bought my first real ATV Saturday, it's a new to me '03 Sportsman 500 HO with very low miles. Anyway I purchased it knowing the CV boots on the right rear need replacing, no big deal I'm a DIY guy. I watched a couple youtube videos and dove right in. Not a problem one except that I could not get the cage and ball assembly out of the plunging joint at the transmission end for cleaning and inspection, I was able to remove the shaft and joint on the wheel end but the transmission end seemed to have little demples that keep the joint from just sliding out of the cup, tilting the cage/ball unit like on the wheel end did not work for me. I ended up cleaning it the best I could without removing the cage and ball assembly and repacking with the fresh grease. I still consider the operation a sucess and a learning experience but for future reference how does the cage and ball assembly come out of the plunging joint cup? I'll try to post a picture and maybe you can see more details. Notice the demples on the groves for the balls.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This was on an 02 maybe it was because they had some miles on it and they were worn. When I took it apart the axle shaft was still in there, I would pull it as far out as I could and put it at its max angle and then one of the ball bearings looked real close to being able to come out. Took a small screwdriver and was able to pop them out. After I got three or four of them out you could take all of it our.

To reinstall just the opposite, but to get the last two bearings in I took a plastic dead blow hammer and gave them a little tap. Not sure if this is the proper way but it worked for me.

#4 ·
Push the joint back toward the tranny then grab a set of needle nose pliers and take it out

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Sorry I thought you wanted to disassemble the inboard cup. To get the cup out of the tranny it will take some pulling. If the bike has been in the mud especially. You probably want to soak the splines with a penetrating oil a few days in advance if it seems stuck. If you have the other side out you can tap it with a punch, remember tough that is only on the rear diff.

Another trick is if you can take a pry bar and put a little pressure on the cup and then start tugging. You may want to reinstall the axle shaft so you can use it as a slide hammer. Push the joint in and than yank it out. Hopefully it isn't stuck to bad.

#9 ·
I missed something, I feel like the other side will need boots before to much longer so I'm sure I'll get another shot at it. This is my first Polaris machine so I have several questions about the bike. Can't wait for some warm wheather to go for a ride!

#10 ·
Did you get your hub out? I have had mine out (03 500ho) and its a bizzatch.
If you put the machine on its side, hub facing up, the ring on the spindle shaft will center, then you can bang on the side of the hub with a hammer and pry upward with a prybar and it will pop loose, then you can pull it right out.
If you take the cage apart, make sure you get the tapered end in the right direction.

#12 ·
I never could get the cage out of the cup because of the demples, I cleaned it the best I could and repacked with grease. What would happen if the cage was put in wrong? Because I did have the cage out on the wheel side, I didn't notice a taper....maybe screwed up????[/QUOTE]

The only thing holding the cage inside the hub, is the clip inside the hub, the balls hit the clip and that stops it from sliding out. There is a small groove at the end of the hub on the inside, thats where the clip/ring is...anyway, i havent had the outside apart but i think its tapered also, there is a grove on one side, that side should be facing out of the hub. I have had my inside rear out a few times. I did reverse the taper on my rear inner cage once, it popped out of the cage and damage the c-ring a little, it put too much stress on it when turning i think thats why it popped out. so i would make sure yours is correct before riding.

Here is a vid of the outside front on a scrambler, basically the same i think. this might help you. the guy talks about the taper at the end of the vid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.