Polaris ATV Forum banner

300cc Model Year Interchangeable Parts

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  northtexas55693 
#1 ·
Just got my first ATV ever... Too bad it was in a shop fire (indirect radiant heat exposure) and it pretty much cosmetically burnt out.

I've been trying to research this quad and this forum keeps coming up so I figured I would post my questions.

It was a 300cc 4x4 limited edition pearl. I got to see it just a week before the fire. Awesome looking ride. Now it is toast of course, but I am thinking it is worth trying to salvage.

For the most part all the damage occured at the bottom of the seat level and above. Parts internal of the frame were generally unscathed mostly b/c the plastics melted down to form a protective layer.

Plastics are 100% lost. Wiring up front is toast. Everything on the handlebars is 100% toast.
Basically I have a good frame, motor, tranny, and suspension.

Wiring along the frame is OK but with as many things on this quad that are electric I think a whole new harness is in order.

I found a service manual for a 2009 300cc. Will that work for my 2008?

Will all 300cc year model parts and plastics sets work on my 2008?

Where can I find a parts list... preferably blown up diagrams?

I imagine finding a 300cc circa 2008 with a blown motor would be the fastest way to get a full plastic set and wiring harness... Or is it?

Any online vendors I should be looking at for this type of rebuild?

Thanks for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome,

Basically, the same machine from 2008 and 2009.
A great place to compare part numbers is Browse

Use the advance search tool to run part numbers and get a list of all other machines that used the same part. You can get part numbers for your '08 and see which parts fit.

You're thinking is on the right track. Good luck! Sounds like the expensive pieces are still there.

#4 ·
Thanks Blueline.

After I made that post last night I did some second level digging and came across that link you posted as well. Thanks for that.

Let me ask you this:

I see a lot of people on eBay and CL saying Hawkeye parts (mostly plastics) will work for these sportsman. Is this true?

Is it only Hawkeye 300cc range that will work?
Are there other Polaris brand quads that have interchangeable parts?

I'm having a tough time coming up with good search terms for finding parts that are interchangeable...

Thanks again for your help.

#5 · (Edited)
Try craigslist for plastics, racks, and seat. Maybe the controls and harness...

Its the wild west out there in internet swapmeet land. Never trust the seller. Do not ever tell them what you are installing it on. Make them tell you what it came off or walk.

I don't post what my parts fit... only what they really came off. Anyone asks for crossreference... I say do your own homework. Last thing I need is an angry buyer because I screwed up the crossreference... :D

Look up the Hawkeye parts yourself and see if they crossreference to the Sportsman.

From orbit via Android.

#6 ·
Same machine from 2007-2010. In 06' and 07' it was a hawkeye, then in 08 they changed the name to the Sportsman 300/400 up until the 2010 model year. In 2006 models the subframe is different from the rest, but everything else is basically the same. Ebay will be your friend. The downside is that you can pick these machines up for about $2,000 in good shape, so keep that in mind.

Thorshammer is the "go-to" guy on here with these machines and I'm sure he will chime in to help out as well.

#7 ·
Thanks for the information guys.

Hatzie: When you say to your customers "do your research" I assume you are referring to something along the lines of using the browse link provided above to cross reference parts interchangeability?

FUSE: That Hawkeye to Sportsman 2007-2010 transition should be a good starting point for my parts search, and was what I was looking for to help narrow down the search.

Thanks for that, as well as the $2000 price range that I need to try and stay under to keep this salvage/rebuild in the "still makes sense category" Most posts I see on CL here in DFW are around $3000 for same cc's and year. I know asking and selling are two different stories, but $1K difference? Is your $2K quote based on well worn and many hours/miles?

This machine in my possession had 22 hours on the clock before it burnt. I know this b/c I looked at the clock before the fire.

#8 · (Edited)
$3,000 for that would be about right in nice condition with 22 hours. I purchased the 300 in my sig this winter for around $2800, and it was like new with hours similar to yours. Prices can vary greatly across the country though

There is one on CL locally that is the Camo version, a 2007 in very nice shape and a bunch of accessories with higher miles though at 2400. I got the guy down to $1800 and probably could have kept going but decided to back out since it was hard to justify paying that much for a spare machine.

You should post up some pics of this thing.

EDIT right now ebay has some cheap plastics for your machine. And a guage pod assembly for like $30. Like I said EBAY will be your new best friend for that machine.

#9 ·
Go to Cheapcycleparts and look up the OEM part number for the part you need from the OEM drawings for your bike in their online parts catalog.
Enter the part # in the search box here OEM Polaris Parts | Cheap Cycle Parts
Click on "where used" after the description and it'll list all the years and models that used that exact part.

Examples:
2009 Polaris Sportsman 300 Front Box Cover PN 2633442 returns that it is used on these models.

Assemblies where 2633442 is used
2009 Polaris Sportsman 300 2633806-293 Assembly., Cab, Front, Indy Red returns that it is used on these models.

Assemblies where 2633806-293 is used

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.