Polaris ATV Forum banner

Idle ? On 2001 sportsman 500ho

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kevcules 
#1 ·
Hey guys
What is the correct idle rpm on a 2001 sportsman 500ho? Also, where is the idle screw located? Thanks

#2 ·
I think it's around 1100 rpms but since we have the same bike, you don't have a tach either right? Make it idle as low as you can without being close to stalling. If you run the bike with the clutch cover off, you can watch the primary clutch sheave start to move towards the belt. Keep your idle well below that.
The idle screw is on the left side of the carb. Just look in under your left side panel and you will see a large thumb screw. Clockwise raises your rpms....

#4 ·
My 13' Idles right at 1020....its should be anywhere from 1,000---1,100

#6 ·
Yes....turn up your idle a little.

Mine does rev higher when my choke is pulled out , but it starts to choke a bit soon after it starts. I then have to push the choke back in and stay on the throttle for about a minute before it idles on its own. I'm planning on taking the carb apart this summer to clean it and replace gaskets and jets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.