Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 500HO Carb Drain

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MandAtaco 
#1 ·
2008 Polaris Sportsman 500HO.

Everything runs fine but I noticed yesterday than when you let off the throttle that it spits a small amount of fuel out of the bowl drain. Doesn't do while it's idling, just when you rev it up and let off the throttle. I pulled the carb apart and the needle and seat "look" good and clean, and I adjusted the float per the service manual, it seemed like it was set pretty deep into the carb before shutting off fuel flow. I also did a vacuum check and the needle and seat hold vacuum.

Could a bad needle and seat cause this some how, even though they "appear" good. It can sit all night long and never leak a drop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
I fought with the same problem with my bike to find out that it's actually normal for them to do that! You can try to adjust the float a little to get it to stop but be careful not to go too far and starve the carb at WOT.

#3 ·
Yea, I did some more research last night and it seems to be a common issue on the 500. Guess I'll live with it... I think I will extend the drain hose down below the engine though. Not sure if mine is stock or cut, but it's only about 6" long and dumps right on top of the block. Thanks for the response!

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.