Polaris ATV Forum banner

I need help

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ckvoncan 
#1 ·
I have a bought new in 2006 Polaris x2 500 that I cannot keep running. I have only put 200 mile on this since purchased and have replaced both computers and three fuel pumps and three batteries.

My current problem is the ATV will not stay running. I can get it to start but it will stall within 3-5 secs and a small backfire can be heard coming out of the intake. Every once in awhile I can get it to stay running if I feather the throttle but for the most part as soon as I touch it, it stalls out. I have done the blink code and get 42 and 47. I am lost. I have pulled the IAC and the motor seems to be functioning correctly.

The nearest Polaris dealer is over 120 miles away. So I am trying to tackle this on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched many forums and other people with the same or similar problem that I am having have not posted that it was ever fixed. Please help!

#4 ·
#5 ·
I recently had the same issue on my '12 500 x2. It would either be difficult to start or would die shortly after it started. The issue was the locking nut behind the console to the choke. It was just loose enough that it would allow the choke to slide closed enough to affect starting, but did not appear to move back in. Not sure if this is your issue or not, but one never knows.

#8 ·
No choke on an EFI to adjust or check.

Blink Code 47
IAC: Short to Ground
IAC = Idle Air Control, part of the EFI system.
The IAC is a non-serviceable item. If it is faulty, it must be replaced.

Test
Pins
1-2, 30 ohms
2-3, 30 ohms
1-3, 60 ohms
4-5, 30 ohms
5-6, 30 ohms
4-6, 60 ohms
All other combinations = OPEN

I think 42 is engine temp sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.