Advice on starting point - Page 5 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Trail Boss Discussions for the Polaris Trail Boss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Latebird, I just placed the fuel filter in the position it was when I disassembled it. Its on the fuel line that is going from the "P" port to the carb, rather the "P" stands for primary or pressure or what, I am not sure. And just to be clear here, lets say it runs considerably better when I spray ether in the intake. At that point, I am going to take the carb apart and adjust the needle to raise more to get more fuel? As well, to make sure my understanding on this: idle jet controls idle, pilot jet controls from idle to 1/4 throttle and then main jet controls throttle from 1/4 to full So more or less I am asking what you would do, if it does run better or henceforth if it doesn't. I would like to also mention I ordered this carb from Zoom Zoom, which was to be model specific. I will also take the plug out tonight and look at its condition. I will also like to add that I have no battery in this machine, I had used a jump box to start it and then I took it off once she fired. I am perhaps wondering if it must have a battery in it to maybe keep a good spark if the stator is weak or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:16 AM

If you have the filter on the "P" line and running to the carb bowl, you have it hooked up wrong. That's the impulse line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-09_010655_1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	115703  
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I apologize, I misspoke..... I don't have it hooked up to the p line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuel Pump and Brakes.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	115705  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:31 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

In the pic you have the fuel filter in the line from the tank to the pump - the P port is the vacuum port

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 AM

OK lol. I didn't think so but though I'd check.
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Ok Fellars, now I am confused. The filter is installed just like it is in the picture. This line is going to the passenger side of the carb. Is this correct line it should be going into or should I move it. The P line as we are calling it goes to the driver side of the carb and the line under it is going to the petcock. This is how they were ran when I picked this headache up LOL
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth1081 View Post
Ok Fellars, now I am confused. The filter is installed just like it is in the picture. This line is going to the passenger side of the carb. Is this correct line it should be going into or should I move it. The P line as we are calling it goes to the driver side of the carb and the line under it is going to the petcock. This is how they were ran when I picked this headache up LOL
Nope, that's not right. I've attached a pic of a carb like yours for reference.
The P line goes to the U fitting on the passenger/right side toward the front of the carb nearest to the cylinder.
The line you have the filter in need to come off the barb you have it on and go on the outlet barb of the pump (#8) to the big U fitting of the carb on the driver/left side of the rearward portion of the carb nearest the air box.
The line from lowest barb on the pump (#7) in the drawing I sent goes to the petcock where you now have the filtered line.
The two upper barbs on the carb toward the rear ar just vent lines that can be tied together or separate and run into a frame hole near the air box or can just hang down...your preference.

Here's a ebay pic of your carb. You can look at the thumbnails to see different views.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Polaris-...frcectupt=true

Last edited by polman500; 02-06-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

This could be some of my problem Is anyone surprised that the thing will still fire having it hooked up the way I do. I really wouldn't think it would, I have it all catywampus
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Look what I found fellas, for anyone that is needed help with this at some other point. This is pretty cut and dry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuel pump and fuel line diagram.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	115707  
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:29 AM

Yeah, it can get confusing.
The "P" impulse line ALWAYS is nearest the cylinder. It gets the impulse or vacuum pulse from the engine as it pulls intake into the cylinder. Some machines actually have a barb fitting right on the top or bottom of the intake port on the head or cylinder rather than on the carb.
On the impulse/vacuum pump the lowest/bottom port is the inlet port from the tank or petcock.
The middle port is the outlet to the carb bowl.
The upper or outermost port on the pump's cover is where the pulse line goes to work the diaphragm making the pump do its thing.

Last edited by polman500; 02-06-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Trail Boss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode