Polaris ATV Forum banner

Help Sudden 850 Oil leak

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  DUBLR 
#1 ·
2014 850 sportsman 33 hrs and 200 or so miles. Hasn't had 1st service yet. ran perfect when parked. It hadn't been cranked in a couple of months. I backed out of the garage and it started right up. 1 lap around the house and parked it in the drive way. What did I find to my surprise almost all the oil running out on the ground. Nothing touching stick. Topped it off with a quart and a half. Cranked it back up and out it came. appears to be coming from the middle of the skid plates where the filter and plug are. Plug and filter have never been off. Any Ideas I'm heading back to dealer this week.

#2 ·
oil filter tight ? or possibly the seal on it wasn't correctly installed from factory

#4 ·
what brand filter?

Too weird. What brand of filter was that? I've seen surface rust form inside a filter that got wet sitting outside but never rusting through the outside cover. Hopefully no engine damage. Luck. :cowboy:

#7 ·
WOW, That is ODD! Glad you got it figured out and it was a simple fix!!

He stated that a hole had rusted in the oil filter can.

#8 ·
LOL, 5 years old and NEVER been serviced?? I'd say there's a lot more than that rusted/corroded on that machine especially if it was in mud or on a salted road before being parked!
The oil should be changed at least yearly even if you don't have many miles/hours.
I've only had my new machine about 7 months and already changed oil twice. Its getting close to time for a third oil change along with all the other fluids. I've been really busy this year and not able to ride that much. :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.