oil in air box - Page 19 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 283 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelance View Post
I've had this oil in the air box problem since day one. I now have 2159 miles. My dealer where my maintenance is done has been outstanding, working with me and Polaris trying to get this issue resolved. I've had new labyrinths, holes drilled in labyrinths, felt removed etc. to no avail.

My warranty had expired on Jan 29/12. I took it to them again on Jan 30/12 after another ride and finding more oil in the air box.

Last week on Thurs. Feb. 2/12 they told me that Polaris had officially issued a service bulletin telling techs to fix this issue by replacing 09, 10, & 11 breather valve assemblies with the new 2012 breather. The 2012 crankcase breather has no valve in it and can be installed on all years of the 850XP.

Today I picked up my bike with the new 2012 part in it.........NO CHARGE !!!!
Dealer said they will go after Polaris for cost recovery because I've been complaining about this issue every time I took it in for regular maintenance for the last 2 years. Mechanic told me he test drove it hard.........high, low, full throttle...........no signs of oil in the air box.

Absolutely love my service dept.(not the same dealer I bought from cuz they were jerks) !! These guys are awesome !! I've done most of the air box cleaning after every ride but my dealer has always provided the new air filter when it was required at no charge. If you are having problems with your local dealer go somewhere else cuz this issue can be fixed at no charge as long as your dealer is reputable and willing to go to bat for you.

Won't be able to ride for 2 weeks due to work but when I do I promise I will put it through the paces and report back. Hope this is the end to this problem which, in fact, is more an inconvenience than harmful to the bike.

P.S. Shouldn't make a difference but I live in Canada about an hour from the Polaris Assembly Plant in Roseau, MN. Thank you for this thread and this site as my service dept. and mechanics have frequented this thread looking for information and possible solutions.

Do you know or can you find out what the reference number is for the "officially issued a service bulletin" is??

2014 XP850 Red
2012 CRF450X
2009 Red Grizzly 700 EPS
2009 Silver Rhino 700
2010 Haulmark 28' race trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 283 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 AM

Oil in breather

I just purchased 2009 850 xp used form an individual needing money really bad. I was a little worried about the oil in the air box because I really did not know if he took care of the machine or not. Only 72 hours on it so the oil in box was a concern. Sounds like this is a 850 xp issue.
post #183 of 283 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Well my dealership - or any in Phx have not received the bulletin as of yet from Polaris. Anxiously awaiting, because I am tired of being told that I have too much oil in the crankcase and that it is blow by from that...

Todd H.
2011 Sportsman 850 XP Touring - XP Deluxe front & rear bumpers, Rigid LED euro-flood lights, Richocet a-arm guards and full skidplate, Viper 3k winch w/rope, custom made rear metal rack, Koplin fuel tanks front and rear, custom camping box carrier on the rear, custom LED turn signals, Garmin 62s, Koplin handguards, Odyssey PC925L battery, Autocomm 2-way communication system,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 283 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Twotxns, why not take matters into your own hands and remove the breather filter?
post #185 of 283 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:21 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

For what it's worth, my dealer in Altoona Pa has also not received any repair bulletin. Personally, i think the dealers that are replacing parts are doing it out of their own pocket to keep a happy customer. Nothing wrong with that.
I am curious as to why the breather valve was removed on the 2012.
post #186 of 283 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

One of the guys here in town was told that his 850 was out of warranty and that Polaris would not cover it. He was told that it would be about $170 in parts to fix the problem. Mine is still under warranty so I want them to fix it.

Todd H.
2011 Sportsman 850 XP Touring - XP Deluxe front & rear bumpers, Rigid LED euro-flood lights, Richocet a-arm guards and full skidplate, Viper 3k winch w/rope, custom made rear metal rack, Koplin fuel tanks front and rear, custom camping box carrier on the rear, custom LED turn signals, Garmin 62s, Koplin handguards, Odyssey PC925L battery, Autocomm 2-way communication system,
post #187 of 283 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomeroo View Post
For what it's worth, my dealer in Altoona Pa has also not received any repair bulletin. Personally, i think the dealers that are replacing parts are doing it out of their own pocket to keep a happy customer. Nothing wrong with that.
I am curious as to why the breather valve was removed on the 2012.
You may be right. I didn't get any paperwork for the 2012 part nor sign for anything.

After 3 hard rides and about 200 miles I'm happy to report........no oil in the airbox !!!

09 Polaris Sportsman 850XP EFI Sunset Red
28" Zillas on 14" ITP SS212 Machined Rims
3500 lb Warn ProVantage Winch W/Wireless Remote
Polaris XP Lock & Ride Cargo Box W/Backrest
Polaris XP Lock & Ride Low Profile Windshield
Polaris XP Deluxe Front and Rear Brushguards
Polaris Hand Gaurds, Hand & Thumb Warmers
GoPro Motorsports HD Hero Cam
SawGrip Lock & Ride Chainsaw Mount
2004 Dodge Durango SLT
1990 16 ft Swiftsure Bowrider 90 HP Yamaha 2011 Arctic Cat Z1 LXR (For Sale) 2014 Yamaha SR Viper XTX SE Heat Red
post #188 of 283 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Twotoxns,
Polaris has a "breather replacement kit" the dealer can order. Its basically the 2012 parts. I just had mine fixed under warranty. I've had it out several times since and the airbox is bone dry.

If you want better picture of the invoice, its located in my photos.

Action

2011 850 XP EPS Camo
A Arm Guards F&R
F&R Storage box
GBC Dirt Commanders
ATV Guru Brush Guard F&R
Ricochet Skid Plates
UNI Air Filter

2013 RZR 570 LE
Half windshield
Sport Top
More to come.....

Last edited by Action; 04-05-2012 at 03:02 PM.
post #189 of 283 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
From what I have read about the 2012 set up, it appears that they did not put that on mine. I was seeing a very small amount of oil in mine again. It took a while to notice, since my dealer didn't bother to clean the air box after making the repairs. Not too impressed by that. I pulled the valve off and pulled the felt off of it. Sounds like the 2012 does not have that same valve set up with the felt cover on it. The good thing is, since removing the felt it is dry as a bone in there.

2018 Polaris General 1000, Elka Stage 2 Shocks, 29" Tusk Warthogs, Polaris 4,500 lb. winch, Factory UTV Skid Plates, Dux Turn Signal/Horn Kit, EMP Cooter Brown Roof, Ryfab Folding Glass Windshield, Spring Brake Thingy
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn XT25, Iron Baltic HDPE Skid Plates (Mine)
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn Vantage 3000, Elka Stage 1 Shocks, Warn Mid-Mount Plow (Wife's)

2011 XP 850 EPS (SOLD 3,600 miles), 28" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD2 Wheels, Warn XT25, Ricochet Ultimate protection, Elka Stage 1 shocks, QSC clutch kit
2009 Sportsman 500 EFI HO (SOLD 2,600 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch, Cycle Country plow (Wife's)
2007 Sportsman 800 X2 (SOLD 2,500 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch
post #190 of 283 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
The good thing is, since removing the felt it is dry as a bone in there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode