oil in air box - Page 28 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 283 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 PM
ATV Enthusiast

I know they suck .. what would have it cost polaris to repair the wheelers??? peanuts ...oh well my machine won't last forever and when I buy again I won't forget about their customer relations..

plab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 08:04 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Agreed. In 2011 when my atv was 2 months past warranty they said no. It should be repaired period. Its a defect.
How ever customer service going to be any different any where else? Doubt it.
But perhaps there is better built elsewhere.

2011 850xp Non eps mine
2011 400HO Wifes
post #273 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:23 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Good lord this a long thread!!! I read all 28 pages. I bought a 2011 850xp 3weeks ago. Went riding yesterday and there is oil in the box. I'm going to try removing felt and spring first, before I buy the kit. Is the correct number for kit 2204755?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlitend1 View Post
Agreed. In 2011 when my atv was 2 months past warranty they said no. It should be repaired period. Its a defect.
How ever customer service going to be any different any where else? Doubt it.
But perhaps there is better built elsewhere.
So, it actually took 14 months of riding before the "oil in the airbox" issue surfaced? You are asking a manufactufacturer to warranty something past the stated warranty period? How many car manufacturers have that kind of policy?

If someone does not file a claim within the warranty period, it is their issue not the manufacturer's, or the dealer's.

I really like life-time warrantys, but they are far and few between.

2015 Sportsman 850 in Sage Green
3500 lb. Polaris HD Winch
QSC Clutch Kit (from Ryan @ RVS Performance)
Odyssey PC925L-P Power Sports Battery
VIPair Windshield w/mirrors
HD ATV Gear Billet Pinion Cover
EPI HD Springs, Front & Rear
Cecco Frame Braces
27X9 and 27X11-14 STI Rocktane XD Rubber
Guru Bumpers, Front & Rear
Lock 'n Ride Front & Rear Boxes
Rhino Monster, Rear Box
Camoplast Tatou 4s Track System
Heated Grips and Throttle Control
Lowrance BAJA 540 GPS
SuperATV EZSteer 380
Various Mods for Ice-Fishing
post #275 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:32 AM
ATV Enthusiast

so phil you think it's ok for polaris to sell you a 10k dollar machine that fails in 14 months ??? because its beyond the warranty period?
I can understand in my case polaris not covering the DEFECT because I bought mine 2nd hand. but I'd be ripped if I lost my engine because to oil got sucked outta the block.. oh but polaris has covered that too !! your suppose to check oil every time you ride it . mine sucked out a quart in less than 220 miles.. ..

plab
post #276 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plab View Post
so phil you think it's ok for polaris to sell you a 10k dollar machine that fails in 14 months ??? because its beyond the warranty period?
I can understand in my case polaris not covering the DEFECT because I bought mine 2nd hand. but I'd be ripped if I lost my engine because to oil got sucked outta the block.. oh but polaris has covered that too !! your suppose to check oil every time you ride it . mine sucked out a quart in less than 220 miles.. ..

plab
Well, if it was truely the case that Polaris (or any other manufacturer) was selling a 10k$ product that failed in 14 months, they would not be in business for long. They have absolutely no control over how a product is used. Guess, you were not aware of the issue you have, (and niether was the guy/dealer you bought you bought it from)? If it was a dealer, I'd be right down their throat!

Looking at this from both angles - you need to see the manufacturer's (not just Polaris does this) side as well as the individual. We do have an opportunity to purchse an exteded warranty.

Definitely a poor deal for you, I agree. But the fix for your machine is not really all that costly.

2015 Sportsman 850 in Sage Green
3500 lb. Polaris HD Winch
QSC Clutch Kit (from Ryan @ RVS Performance)
Odyssey PC925L-P Power Sports Battery
VIPair Windshield w/mirrors
HD ATV Gear Billet Pinion Cover
EPI HD Springs, Front & Rear
Cecco Frame Braces
27X9 and 27X11-14 STI Rocktane XD Rubber
Guru Bumpers, Front & Rear
Lock 'n Ride Front & Rear Boxes
Rhino Monster, Rear Box
Camoplast Tatou 4s Track System
Heated Grips and Throttle Control
Lowrance BAJA 540 GPS
SuperATV EZSteer 380
Various Mods for Ice-Fishing
post #277 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

oil in air box

I bought my 850 in 2011 brand new. Oil in the air box 2 months in. Took it in they replaced parts thinking they were warped or installed wrong. 2 months later oil in the air box again. By this time the 2012s were out and low and behold they now had a fix for this problem, so the machine was fixed. Fast forward to 2014 and I notice a engine oil leak coming out from the starter. Bring it in and I'm told that the breather line for the crankcase that runs to the air box had formed condensation and then froze the valve that releases pressure into this line. So it couldn't remove the pressure and blew out seals on the motor. Turns out Polaris had another fix for this exact issue. Weird because I thought it was all fixed when oil stopped getting into my air box...wrong just another unsolved Polaris 850 mystery waiting to hurt my engine. So my engine had to be tore down and rebuilt and I got another updated crankcase breather system. They also found that my timing gear had spun on my crankshaft, so I got the revised crankshaft, which is another updated part that fixes another issue with 850 motors. My machine idles like it never has before. Smooth and doesn't jump idle or lope like, so many 850s do. My extended warranty won't cover it and now we are asking Polaris if they will. Very frustrating especially when I've maintained this wheeler and I have done everything I'm supposed to according to the Polaris manual.

Last edited by yokochrist; 05-04-2015 at 10:15 AM.
post #278 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 PM
ATV Enthusiast

I just ordered the breather fix kit. What's the torque for the valve cover bolts? I just ordered a manual. Lol. Thanks.
post #279 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 09:11 PM
ATV Enthusiast

First off it was 8 months old not 14. Second I had issued a complaint IN the warranty period. It was not fixed. They "didn't know of any problem".
Sorry if I think these things are not well built. Oil, bushings, timing gears, ball joints, bearings, breaks on and on.

2011 850xp Non eps mine
2011 400HO Wifes
post #280 of 283 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:06 PM

Garage
Another 850 bites the oil-in-the-air-filter-box dust.

Thanks to bp405 for informing me about this thread.

I bought my 2011 Sportsman 850 Touring EPS used, private. If the seller knew about the problem, he didn't disclose it. I'm pretty sure he knew, though, because there was a LOT of oil in there, and it had been there for a long time. Discovered when I decided to check/change the air filter. My opinion of the private seller is, of course, deflated considerably. Had been considering buying some other things from him, but now won't, of course.

I've been through nearly all the thread -- my gut feel is that doing the replacement kit with 2012 parts probably is the best path to follow.

I'm really not a wrench-turner at all. Near-zero experience with ATVs, not much more experience with cars, especially since they all went electronic and sealed bearings. Plus, old enough to have pain problem and other problems. I can do some, minimal stuff...but if it requires work under the vehicle, leaning over it for any periods, and/or using my hands a lot -- then I can only do it for a short while, after which I'll be laid up for several days recovering. (Yeah, it sucks major gas...but it's better than the alternatives.)
  • My question to any/all: Am I better off to just let the dealer do it? Or is this simple enough for a novice atv mechanic-wannabee with physical disabilities to do correctly and without torturing self?
  • I need to take the vehicle in to have the transmission looked at anyway--shifting gears is HARD. Requires lots of pull/push. I tried a buddy's 570, and his shifted like butter. I am definitely not confident/competent/healthy enough to start messing with gears, linkages and belts, etc.
  • So, if I'm taking in anyway for the gear shifting problem, would it be better to just let the dealer do the breather fix, too?

All opinions pro and con appreciated.

Many thanks,

rusherjim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	850 oil in air filter box 1.jpg.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	116671   Click image for larger version

Name:	850 oil in air filter box 2.jpg.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	116673  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode