oil in air box - Page 29 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 283 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:08 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusherjim View Post
Thanks to bp405 for informing me about this thread.

I bought my 2011 Sportsman 850 Touring EPS used, private. If the seller knew about the problem, he didn't disclose it. I'm pretty sure he knew, though, because there was a LOT of oil in there, and it had been there for a long time. Discovered when I decided to check/change the air filter. My opinion of the private seller is, of course, deflated considerably. Had been considering buying some other things from him, but now won't, of course.

I've been through nearly all the thread -- my gut feel is that doing the replacement kit with 2012 parts probably is the best path to follow.

I'm really not a wrench-turner at all. Near-zero experience with ATVs, not much more experience with cars, especially since they all went electronic and sealed bearings. Plus, old enough to have pain problem and other problems. I can do some, minimal stuff...but if it requires work under the vehicle, leaning over it for any periods, and/or using my hands a lot -- then I can only do it for a short while, after which I'll be laid up for several days recovering. (Yeah, it sucks major gas...but it's better than the alternatives.)
  • My question to any/all: Am I better off to just let the dealer do it? Or is this simple enough for a novice atv mechanic-wannabee with physical disabilities to do correctly and without torturing self?
  • I need to take the vehicle in to have the transmission looked at anyway--shifting gears is HARD. Requires lots of pull/push. I tried a buddy's 570, and his shifted like butter. I am definitely not confident/competent/healthy enough to start messing with gears, linkages and belts, etc.
  • So, if I'm taking in anyway for the gear shifting problem, would it be better to just let the dealer do the breather fix, too?

All opinions pro and con appreciated.

Many thanks,

rusherjim

I pmd you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 283 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:44 AM

Im new to the 850 Xp, i have an 09 that i picked up recently that didn't have the updated valve cover or vent parts installed. During the process of removing the engine i removed and inspected the air box it did indeed have oil in it.

I have been rebuilding the engine and have purchased a few parts on Ebay. Seeing all the parts available on ebay, and after reading this thread, it got me thinking: there are a bunch of valve covers from 2012 and up on eBay complete with the Labyrinth plate and valve for dirt cheap. I have seen them listed anywhere from $10-$60+. i picked one up from a 2016 with free shipping for $20. I then picked up the vent hose with free shipping for $8. basically i get everything from the "kit" including the valve cover for 1/3 the cost.

Maybe I am missing something, but i don't see any reason why these parts wont fix the oil in the air box problem.

Maybe this idea has already been covered in this thread or others, (there is so many pages that i forget where i read everything)
post #283 of 283 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850xpDayn View Post
Im new to the 850 Xp, i have an 09 that i picked up recently that didn't have the updated valve cover or vent parts installed. During the process of removing the engine i removed and inspected the air box it did indeed have oil in it.

I have been rebuilding the engine and have purchased a few parts on Ebay. Seeing all the parts available on ebay, and after reading this thread, it got me thinking: there are a bunch of valve covers from 2012 and up on eBay complete with the Labyrinth plate and valve for dirt cheap. I have seen them listed anywhere from $10-$60+. i picked one up from a 2016 with free shipping for $20. I then picked up the vent hose with free shipping for $8. basically i get everything from the "kit" including the valve cover for 1/3 the cost.

Maybe I am missing something, but i don't see any reason why these parts wont fix the oil in the air box problem.

Maybe this idea has already been covered in this thread or others, (there is so many pages that i forget where i read everything)
YES, sounds like a good move. Only concern would be the quality of the used parts, but then that is always a concern. Only thing I would suggest...is maybe getting a new valve cover gasket to prevent leaks. Otherwise...makes sense to purchase from the vast Used parts bins.

biz

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Took delivery on February 4, 2011
Sold 2011 Sportsman 850 Touring EPS -- Mine
Sold 2011 Sportsman 550 Touring EPS -- Wifie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sold 2009 Sportsman XP 850 Sold
Purchase date: May 2009
Sold date: December 2010
======== ===========
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode