Water pump seal - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!
 
TheStatelineATV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Addison IL
Posts: 1,205
Garage
Water pump seal

I tried to find anything about water pump seal on other forums with no luck and decided to ask in here, at specific model XP. Recently I had water pump seals issues and looks like there is something with my bad luck >? coincidence >? riding style >? or what else >? I do have 3 XPs all different years and engines, 850 , 850ho and 1000. In all of them water pump seal failed, it happen on different mileage too: 2300, 700, 1200. ? what am I doing wrong with these XPs? Does anyone else had any problems with their WPS"?
The only thing I'm thinking of to prevent this is not to shut off machine while fan is running? but will this solve my issue , I know I were doing it in all of them but I doubt it could be a problem. Storage indoor or outdoor is not an issue too... then what else it could be?

Last edited by TheStatelineATV; 07-08-2019 at 06:42 PM.
TheStatelineATV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
 
sportsmandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStatelineATV View Post
I tried to find anything about water pump seal on other forums with no luck and decided to ask in here, at specific model XP. Recently I had water pump seals issues and looks like there is something with my bad luck >? coincidence >? riding style >? or what else >? I do have 3 XPs all different years and engines, 850 , 850ho and 1000. In all of them water pump seal failed, it happen on different mileage too: 2300, 700, 1200. ? what am I doing wrong with these XPs? Does anyone else had any problems with their WPS"?
The only thing I'm thinking of to prevent this is not to shut off machine while fan is running? but will this solve my issue , I know I were doing it in all of them but I doubt it could be a problem. Storage indoor or outdoor is not an issue too... then what else it could be?
geez, i though the wps was more of a 500 model issue, !!! how many miles on the 1000 ?
so far im good with my 2 quads, i always let them run until the fan turns off if its running when i stop, remember to put it in park not to glaze the drive belt .


2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
sportsmandan is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
 
latebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,289
What kind of coolant do they have in them? Silicate coolant like used in automotive products can damage the seals.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
latebird is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast
 
asbuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 246
Any 60/40 or 50/50 mix of Green ethylene glycol antifreeze/coolant , and that's straight from the dealers service manual.

"Polaris recommends the use of Polaris Premium 60/40 antifreeze/
coolant or a 50/50 mixture of high quality aluminum
compatible anti-freeze/coolant and distilled water"

"Recommended Coolant
Use only high quality antifreeze/coolant mixed with distilled
water in a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio, depending on freeze protection
required in your area."
asbuilt is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
 
latebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,289
Don't know what manual you are looking at, but here's page 44 of the service manual publication 9928503 for 2018 Sportsman 850/1000.

I have never seen a Polaris manual that recommends any coolant other than POLARIS brand coolant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polaris Sportsman 850 - 1000 2018  9928503 page 44.png
Views:	10
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	118779  

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
latebird is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:53 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
 
latebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbuilt View Post
Any 60/40 or 50/50 mix of Green ethylene glycol antifreeze/coolant , and that's straight from the dealers service manual.

"Polaris recommends the use of Polaris Premium 60/40 antifreeze/
coolant or a 50/50 mixture of high quality aluminum
compatible
anti-freeze/coolant and distilled water"

"Recommended Coolant
Use only high quality antifreeze/coolant mixed with distilled
water in a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio, depending on freeze protection
required in your area."
Aluminum compatible - read silicate free or low silicate

Use whatever you want - I've yet to have a water pump seal fail and I use the recommended coolants exclusively. I do not necessarily use Polaris coolant, but I use Honda Type I or Type II (only difference is color - Type I is green Type II is blue and they can be mixed), Maxima Coolanol (green) and Engine Ice (blue) regularly in my ATV's and motorcycles. I experiment and switch coolants from time to time - I have Honda Type II in my CRF, Honda Type I in my VT1100 Shadow and Engine Ice in my Roketa 200 ATV. Not sure what is in my 06 Trailboss 330 as I have not worked on the engine and have not changed the coolant - it's blue and it is probably the Polaris 60/40 coolant, but it will be Polaris 2880513 50/50 (since they discontinued the 2871323 60/40) the first time I have to drain and refill the system.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
latebird is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast
 
asbuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
Don't know what manual you are looking at, but here's page 44 of the service manual publication 9928503 for 2018 Sportsman 850/1000.

I have never seen a Polaris manual that recommends any coolant other than POLARIS brand coolant.
2012 and 2013 Sportsman 550XP Polaris factory service manual
asbuilt is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast
 
asbuilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 246
Of course Polaris will always recommend their branded product being antifreeze, lubricants etc., but are not required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 07-09-19 at 05.48 PM.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	118783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 07-09-19 at 05.49 PM.PNG
Views:	12
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	118785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 07-09-19 at 05.47 PM.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	118787  
asbuilt is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:53 PM
Moderator
 
polman500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SE Kentucky
Posts: 8,297
Yeah, it says Polaris Premium or a "high quality aluminum compatible" antifreeze.
It does NOT say use "any" antifreeze.
polman500 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:03 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
 
latebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,289
Of course "not required" but use of their (or other product) specifically manufactured for use in their vehicle may benefit in reduced maintenance and repair cost. Would you use gasoline engine coolant in a diesel engine? Most diesel engines specify a specific coolant depend on the service the engine is expected to perform and the construction (wet sleeve vs dry sleeve).

If you don't know the difference, go back to engine school and ask for the chapter you slept through. The science of coolant (and oil) has all changed in the last 10 years.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
latebird is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome