Outlander 1000 XT vs. 850 XP - Not the usual question... - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Outlander 1000 XT vs. 850 XP - Not the usual question...

Ok, I have narrowed my decision to these two. I have ridden both around the parking lot at a dealer. It will be used for 50% hunting and 50% trail riding with minimal intentional mud bogging. Where I hunt occasional holes are unavoidable.

My impressions:

Power - Outty, no surprise. I like the low end grunt (could be more of a clutching difference than engine difference though)

Turning radius - Outty was tighter but would lift the inside back tire and was more tippy.

Ride - Riding over a parking curb they were both smooth, slight edge to Polaris. When I shifted the XP into reverse, it died and had to re-crank. Not sure what that was about. XP shifted smooth, I had to hump the Outty once to get into reverse.

Overall - I liked the Can-am better, but cost $2K more. If I add bumpers, winch, handguards, extra 6 mo. warranty to the XP the difference is only about $600-$800 and not enough to make my decision.

Where I hunt I am restricted to a 25" tall tire. The only 25" tire available in a 14" rim is the ITP Terracross. With the 12" wheel on the Outty there are much better selections. Since I will have to use 25" tire and I am not keen on switching wheels and tires between hunting / trail riding, I plan to run one setup year round.

Here is the question: Which do you think will go through the mud better, the XP with more ground clearance and a non-mud tire. Or the Outty with a less ground clearance (1" according to spec's) and a set of Mud Lites or Maxxis Zillas?

I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Magnetic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Clearance problem

We have on a a number o0f occaisons travel deep ruts in slippery clay all the Can Ams could drive through or just creep through, at the same time both 550 and 850 XP had trouble only way they got through was to use excessive speed to get through they could not just drive through,Can

ams 800 also 650 would back throgh the ruts or drive through
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I am not a mudder, but tires will make a huge difference in the equation...I would think the better tires (more options in the 12 inch size) would get you more places
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

You can not go to a 12" rim on the 850xp because of the brake rotor size so for tire choice alone I would go with the Outlander. Just out of curiosity, how is the 25" tire limit enforced? Is it a measured 25 inches or just by whats on the sidewall?

Action

2011 850 XP EPS Camo
A Arm Guards F&R
F&R Storage box
GBC Dirt Commanders
ATV Guru Brush Guard F&R
Ricochet Skid Plates
UNI Air Filter

2013 RZR 570 LE
Half windshield
Sport Top
More to come.....
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
I am not a mudder, but tires will make a huge difference in the equation...I would think the better tires (more options in the 12 inch size) would get you more places
Agreed..Stock XP tires are garbage for mud and slippery terrain....once I put swamp lights on my 550 went way more places with much less effort...

I'm not sure but have noted this over the last year...we got 2 new XP's I don't like the floaty feeling of the xp suspension from the factory so I set my springs to the highest notch making the bike much more ridged..My buddy with the other xp has his set to the lowest setting (hes a Cadillac rider)...he has 28' tires I have 27"(same brand tires) if you put both our bikes side x side mine sits higher then his no doubt about it... he is the one that pointed this out,I think it bothered him that mine was sitting higher.So I'm not sure if those settings have anything to do with ground clearance but I think it does..What I am getting at if clearance is your issue of making a decision..I think you should measure your self both bikes because if the Polaris is set to lowest setting (comfy ride)..It might be on par to the can-am...Plus you get the better tire choices with the can am for that size...I will also say that my buddy with some weight on the back of his XP with the settings at there lowest looks like a low rider (hes usually in front)...so I gap out at his bike wile were riding...I am a hunter and my bikes primary use is for hunting and back country scouting...I personally would not want my ass end bumping like a frog threw the woods.

2011 550XP CAMO
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
You can not go to a 12" rim on the 850xp because of the brake rotor size so for tire choice alone I would go with the Outlander. Just out of curiosity, how is the 25" tire limit enforced? Is it a measured 25 inches or just by whats on the sidewall?

Action
I called and asked if I air down the 26" tires to under 25" with a tape measure if that would pass. They said no, LOL.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 PM
ATV Enthusiast

i don't get it, why 25" restriction ??
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose12 View Post
Public hunting land, and at one time ATVs with big tires were rutting up the trails to where the smaller tires could not pass. I am guessing that 25" was the tallest tire from the factory when the rule was made several years ago.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose12 View Post
Public hunting land, and at one time ATVs with big tires were rutting up the trails to where the smaller tires could not pass. I am guessing that 25" was the tallest tire from the factory when the rule was made several years ago.

Have you checked to see if the rule was updated? How do you go about getting it updsted?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
ATV Enthusiast

ahh ok, gotcha magnetic!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode