2013 850 XP Won't Start, Click, Click, Click - Page 32 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris XP The Polaris XP Forum. Discussions covering the new Polaris Sportsman XP 850/550

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #311 of 326 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:07 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Got no recoil on a 850. He's talking about the drive coupler housing.
It has a gasket around it. I'm not sure but it should also have a vent tube that should be checked to make sure its intact.
My bad - I assumed the reference to 'bell housing' was a Freudian slip and the reference was to the recoil housing. Thanks for correcting me as I did not consult the part breakdown or service manual before commenting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 326 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:49 PM

yeah the vent tube is all good. I do appreciate the time and effort though.
post #313 of 326 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Garage
[quote=phil;1400939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowflinger09 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhunter View Post
I fixed my starting issues by upgrading the relay with the Polaris harness kit, installing a new battery by Odyssey and also a starter from DB electrical. The combination of all 3 solved my problems as I did it before last years ice fishing season and didnt have a single problem whereas the year before (2 years ago) was a no start nightmare. I also installed a $20 on-board trickle charger from Harbor Freight to maintain the battery. This is my first ever Odyssey battery which I did on recommendation from this site and those seem well worth the extra money.

Hope you get yours figured out. Ive love my machine if you take away those issues...
Exactly what I have done, plus do a really good job of checking all ground points and dialectric grease on all connectors. Still waiting for this ice season, but end of last all was good. And you are right, being several miles out on the ice and the !?#&@ thing don't start! Not a good feeling, at all.
SO, a new ice ice season is upon us and I have been out three times. Nothing exceptionally cold, like in the teens and low 20s, but powdery snow and lots of stops and starts.
No problems, yet.
I'm happy. Wish I knew exactly what fixed it, probably a combination of all the "fixes".
Still can't get Polaris, or my dealer to recognize there is an issue with these machines.

I love my 850!

2015 Sportsman 850 in Sage Green
3500 lb. Polaris HD Winch
QSC Clutch Kit (from Ryan @ RVS Performance)
Odyssey PC925L-P Power Sports Battery
VIPair Windshield w/mirrors
HD ATV Gear Billet Pinion Cover
EPI HD Springs, Front & Rear
Cecco Frame Braces
27X9 and 27X11-14 STI Rocktane XD Rubber
Guru Bumpers, Front & Rear
Lock 'n Ride Front & Rear Boxes
Rhino Monster, Rear Box
Camoplast Tatou 4s Track System
Heated Grips and Throttle Control
Lowrance BAJA 540 GPS
SuperATV EZSteer 380
Various Mods for Ice-Fishing

Last edited by phil; 01-17-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #314 of 326 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Garage
[quote=phil;1408517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowflinger09 View Post

Exactly what I have done, plus do a really good job of checking all ground points and dialectric grease on all connectors. Still waiting for this ice season, but end of last all was good. And you are right, being several miles out on the ice and the !?#&@ thing don't start! Not a good feeling, at all.
SO, a new ice ice season is upon us and I have been out three times. Nothing exceptionally cold, like in the teens and low 20s, but powdery snow and lots of stops and starts.
No problems, yet.
I'm happy. Wish I knew exactly what fixed it, probably a combination of all the "fixes".
Still can't get Polaris, or my dealer to recognize there is an issue with these machines.

I love my 850!
Haha! Awesome! I am jealous. MI has been very mild thus far. Lake St. Clair has been a no go and may never get an abundance of safe ice. Some brutal cold setting in this week finally but I feel like our season will be very short. Even Lake Simcoe in ON where I like to go has been behind for safe ice. Guys really just started getting out this week when typically have 12"+ by now. I suspect my first trip will be in February.

Good luck out there and be safe bud!

PS. I also see you have a good taste in shanties too. I LOVE my Otter!!

Arrowflinger09
post #315 of 326 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:54 AM

Ok where do I begin.. After a nice Google search it brought me to this post.. Read a ton.. I have a 2012 850 xp Ho eps..

So the horror stories of getting stranded ice fishing totally happened to me over the weekend.. - 20 below out.. So i had some wierd issues happen.. Originally when I got there it was a brute to get started but I finally got it to fire.. Wasn't easy and battery got weak.. Stock battery still.. Let it run for a couple hours to make sure it was charged good.. So i fished awhile and went out my shanty and said Ahh hell I better start it and warm it up to make sure it'll be safe when I leave.. And this is where it gets wierd... Nothing.. Just a click.. So tried it a bunch.. Figured battery was drained low and shot.. Had a buddy still there at time who had cables and would jump me when it was time to leave... Couple hours more go by I walked by it and tried turning it in and magically fired right up... Was baffled a bit but happy.. Let it run awhile then.. Shut it off.. Hour later buddy borrows it and gives his wife a ride to truck as she's gonna head home.. Fired up fine and all was good... Maybe another hourish or more I had enough and was ready to leave.. Dark out.. My other buddy already left who had the cables and atv.. Guess what she didn't fire.. It did something way different though.. It turned over just fine.. Wouldnt fire.. Lights wouldn't come on.. Winch didn't work.. But it would turn over just fine.. So i knew something very odd was happening.. Thank God my buddy turned around after being a half hour down road.. Unloaded all his shit and came rescued me which was sketchy as were on a river with weak ice in the shore line.. But we made it off.. Once I got back on land I turned key on and headlights came on and winch worked.. Wouldnt start though as I ran battery down to far to crank at this point.... Idk if something was wet and froze or what.. But I have noticed it don't start all too well in cold weather.. I fish in south Dakota and north dakota where it gets very cold.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..
post #316 of 326 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:57 AM

And kill switch was in run position I may add quick.. Mine in off won't let the dash lights even come on..
post #317 of 326 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:52 AM

Frozen 850

Frustrating as hell. I finally pulled my tranny out to drain water from ring gear and then found out the vent hoses were positioned down below the front of the motor. (should be up behind head light). Apparently Polaris dealer replaced this motor on warranty. I guess they didn't know where to put the hoses. We had about 3/4 of the bike apart by this point because we also had to change the lower steering post.
So after all this and a new battery and starter the bike was back together. The steering was so much better and it started just fine (inside). I left it outside for the night. The temp. was -35 C and with the wind chill was -47 C. In the morning all I got was click click. A 500 RZR, parked right beside started fine. We boosted my 850 and it fired up. (good I guess) So now I will try a 30 amp battery.
One more issue is an awful noise that we suspect is coming from the damper in the center of the ring gear.
it seems also that we corrected the fast idle problem simply by backing off the throttle stop screw. we removed it completely and the bike idles at about 1250, runs and shifts fine.
It might be a while before I can get around to putting the bigger battery in.
post #318 of 326 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Regardless of the windchill, to a piece of machinery or a thermometer -35 is -35.

Copied from the Yuasa website: "What Are Cold Cranking Amps? Essentially, Cold Cranking Amps is an industry value to rate a batteries’ ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The numerical value refers to the number of amps a battery can produce, and sustain for 30 seconds, at a temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit." - "Check voltage every 3 months (or more frequently if stored at higher temperatures as high temperatures cause higher self-discharge rates) Recharge battery if voltage is below 12.4V. (12.48V for conventional flooded lead acid batteries). Once activated, the battery is permanently sealed and must never be opened. There is no need to add water to AGM batteries. Adding water to AGM batteries will result in irreparable damage to the battery or the vehicle."

It is reported that a lead acid battery (conventional or AGM) will be 10% weaker for every 15 to 20 degree drop below 80 degrees F. At this rate a battery is only at 30% of it's capacity at -20 degrees F. Now @Mark Anderson stated that he let his machine run for a couple hours to charge the battery. Again, from the Yuasa battery website; "Magnetic stators don’t charge at low RPMs." Letting it idle may have actually been discharging the battery unless the idle speed was increased to about 3000 rpm. If the battery was discharging while idling, shutting the machine off would allow the battery to self charge to a low state of charge, but possibly enough to start the engine.

From Lithium Pros website: 'ALL batteries will perform poorly in cold weather, regardless of whether they are lithium or lead-acid. But, a lithium battery will still outperform a comparably-sized lead-acid when the temperature drops. However, since most people try to run the smallest and lightest lithium battery possible, there are some things to be aware of: For a daily-driven vehicle, almost no extra effort is required. On a very cold morning, however, one might find that the cranking performance of the battery is not as strong as usual; if it is very cold and the vehicle has been sitting for a while, the engine might not crank fast enough to start. This does not mean that your battery is dead.

Simply turn on the headlights for a few minutes to drain some energy from the battery. As a result, the battery will warm up internally and gain enough “juice” to start the engine.'

It's one of the reasons I like lithium over lead acid batteries

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Last edited by latebird; 02-01-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #319 of 326 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:50 AM

interesting
post #320 of 326 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
Regardless of the windchill, to a piece of machinery or a thermometer -35 is -35.
That's right, but one thing the wind (windchill) does do to a piece of machinery - takes whatever heat there is away faster.

2015 Sportsman 850 in Sage Green
3500 lb. Polaris HD Winch
QSC Clutch Kit (from Ryan @ RVS Performance)
Odyssey PC925L-P Power Sports Battery
VIPair Windshield w/mirrors
HD ATV Gear Billet Pinion Cover
EPI HD Springs, Front & Rear
Cecco Frame Braces
27X9 and 27X11-14 STI Rocktane XD Rubber
Guru Bumpers, Front & Rear
Lock 'n Ride Front & Rear Boxes
Rhino Monster, Rear Box
Camoplast Tatou 4s Track System
Heated Grips and Throttle Control
Lowrance BAJA 540 GPS
SuperATV EZSteer 380
Various Mods for Ice-Fishing

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris XP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode