97 Xplorer 300 rear brake question - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Xplorer and Xpedition Discussions for the Polaris Xplorer and Xpedition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

97 Xplorer 300 rear brake question

Thanks to ThePepper for answering my questions. I'm going to start breaking these questions into separate threads.

While adjusting the rear chain, I had the rear end jacked up and tested the rear brake using the handbrake and verified that it works. However the foot brake has no effect. It goes to the floor but retracts. I have not gotten to this yet. Being a perfectionist, I want everything to be working on this ATV.

I guess the foot rest is going to have to come off before I can get a better look at it but looks like all the hardware is there and it's an adjustment issue. I'm assuming it's mechanical like the parking brake on a car with rear disc brakes?

Seems like I found "rear brake master cylinder" on Ebay so I first assumed there were two separate hydraulic systems on the rear brake caliper. The manual I downloaded covers all Polaris models so it's sort of hard to read in .PDF on a computer to know exactly what model which page is referring to.

In Section 9.30b: Dual Hydraulic brake caliper, Auxiliary brake adjustment (hydraulic). First of all am I on the correct page for my model? What does dual hydraulic mean? Two pistons? Two separate hydraulic systems (one for hand brake and one for foot brake)

I did a search on this forum and found where others were having to same issue. I assuming there is a rod with a jam nut on it and by adjusting it will adjust the free play? I think ThePepper said in another post he used a longer bolt because he was out of adjustment? Or if it has two separate systems, could the system for the handbrake be OK but not the foot brake?

Also exactly what's the purpose of the using the rear brake but not both brakes? In what situation would you want to use only the rear brakes but not both? Going down steep hills to prevent the front end from sliding or something?

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

James Seabolt
Kingsport, TN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

As you probably realized from the other posts, the polaris design on this is quite poor. The foot lever activation of the rear brake is purely mechanical on this model. There is an adjustment bolt and jam nut on the end of the caliper. You loosen the jam nut and screw in the adjusting bolt. It is VERY sensitive to adjustment. Tiny bit too much and the pads drag. Not quite enough and pushing down the foot pedal does nothing. To make it worse, if you find the sweet spot, a little bit of wear puts it out of adjustment. What I did was screw a large 1/2" x 1" bolt into the top of the foot pedal to essentially give me a bit more range out of the foot pedal. Which reminds me.. I need to adjust my rear brake setting again..... :-(

The nice thing about just using the rear brake is coming down a steep hill. Dragging the back gives you more control than having the front taking 60% which can be scary at times.

Last edited by thepepper; 04-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I haven't gotten into it yet but so far it seems like a better design than Yamaha.

When my friend's Bruin was at my house fixing the front brakes and cleaning the carburetor, I decided to see if I could adjust the rear drum brake on the axle. It has two cables. One for the handbrake and for the foot brake attached together so to speak. I got the rear brake to function somewhat by adjusting the hand brake but never could get the foot brake adjusted. I think it needed new cables. I set it to where it dragged then backed it off a bit. I thought I had it fixed.

So my friend was riding it one day and the rear end started to wobble. He thought perhaps the axle was bent. It looked OK so he said he pulled the drum off and thought maybe the one of the shoes worked loose. But they looked OK. He said he removed the rear shoes and the problem went away.

I didn't see it but can't understand how the shoes would cause the rear end to wobble. If they did not come loose.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/?sort=2&page=0

James Seabolt
Kingsport, TN

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Xplorer and Xpedition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode