98 Xplorer 400 4x4 questions - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Xplorer and Xpedition Discussions for the Polaris Xplorer and Xpedition

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

98 Xplorer 400 4x4 questions

I picked up a Xpolorer 400 4x4 cheap for my on property for hunting (drag deer). I ran started 1st pull owner said 4x4 did not work and needed battery.
1- I put new battery in and now the electric start works but not 4x4?

2- I noticed the rear chain is way to loose, the rear that attached to swingarm had wrong bolts, I ordered the right bolts when adjusting chain does it matter where grease fitting ends up?

3- I noticed the center chain is missing So figured this answers my 4x4 not working any advise on this repair?

4-What other years and model Polaris used/new parts interchange with this model?

5- Where to get Repair owner manuals?

Any help is appreciated Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:38 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I picked up a Xpolorer 400 4x4 cheap for my on property for hunting (drag deer). I ran started 1st pull owner said 4x4 did not work and needed battery.

2- I noticed the rear chain is way to loose, the rear that attached to swingarm had wrong bolts, I ordered the right bolts when adjusting chain does it matter where grease fitting ends up?

3- I noticed the center chain is missing So figured this answers my 4x4 not working any advise on this repair?

4-What other years and model Polaris used/new parts interchange with this model?

Latebird probably has a pdf manual for it. PM him

I wont tell you what I don't know
JoeP likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:41 AM

Polaris parts catalog:

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE...J_XaXBZMrpgBQ-

ebay and Powersports Nation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:55 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:

1. Not good to run without a battery, you can burn out the voltage regulator.
2. There is a proper procedure for setting the tension on the rear chain. I believe yours is the same as the '97 and the output shaft from the transmission is separate from the rear swing arm shaft. You have to have those two and the rear axle in a straight line when setting tension. If the the chain and sprockets are worn out, you'll have the grease fitting approaching the unreachable point when rotating the eccentric. Sprockets and chain are available online.
3. The machine runs 520 O-ring chain which is very available at a motorbike shops. Being easy to fix, I wonder why it was missing. There should also be a front chain.
4. Lots of parts are interchangeable but you'd need to check a parts fiche for compatibility. Polaris made incremental changes each year on the old Xplorer 400.

The weak point on this machine is the seals between the counter balancer and water pump. when it leaks, the shaft can get pitted and make it painful to seal again.

I have a '97 that's been rebuilt 4-5 times and runs neck and neck with my 700. Great machine, lots of maintenance.. LOL

==================
2004.5 Sportsman 700
1997 Xplorer 400
1995 Xplorer 400
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Xplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepepper View Post
Quote:

1. Not good to run without a battery, you can burn out the voltage regulator.
2. There is a proper procedure for setting the tension on the rear chain. I believe yours is the same as the '97 and the output shaft from the transmission is separate from the rear swing arm shaft. You have to have those two and the rear axle in a straight line when setting tension. If the the chain and sprockets are worn out, you'll have the grease fitting approaching the unreachable point when rotating the eccentric. Sprockets and chain are available online.
3. The machine runs 520 O-ring chain which is very available at a motorbike shops. Being easy to fix, I wonder why it was missing. There should also be a front chain.
4. Lots of parts are interchangeable but you'd need to check a parts fiche for compatibility. Polaris made incremental changes each year on the old Xplorer 400.

The weak point on this machine is the seals between the counter balancer and water pump. when it leaks, the shaft can get pitted and make it painful to seal again.

I have a '97 that's been rebuilt 4-5 times and runs neck and neck with my 700. Great machine, lots of maintenance.. LOL
The Front chain is there the rear is there the center/mid chain that connects the two drives is gone? I just ordered one but I am still concerned why it was removed. I bought a new Battery the old one was hooked up but dead. Once the new batt was in the electric start works great. Am Hoping once chain is on and there all adjusted 4X4 will work? wishfull thinking LOL. Forum member LateBird was a great help he gave me a manual which makes life easier. Over all its a good running 4 wheeler just seemed to have an owner that cobbed things instead of fixing it right. Hope to have it up to par for this hunting season. So far I have under $100 in parts and a few hours time into it. Thanks for the input its appreciated. Forum has been a great resource.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

This is it. It’s getting there hopefully been 100% soon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34CDE127-619B-4D67-B52A-3D809114D606_1567251586824.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	119903  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:29 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

When you're working on setting the rear chain, do a check on the swing arm mounts. It is common, thru lack of grease, for the bushing to stick to the bolts and start rotating them. This results in the bolt holes in the frame getting wallowed out making your chain adjustment near impossible. I had to weld on extra metal and put in remote grease lines to keep the problem from coming back.

I use mine every fall for hunting and all winter for plowing. Nice to be able to pull start a machine in the winter if you have too.....
JoeP likes this.

==================
2004.5 Sportsman 700
1997 Xplorer 400
1995 Xplorer 400
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

I went through it, 4 wheel drive works well new chain installed and she works. I changed all fluids greased everything that needed it. Adjusted chains,cleaned it up and all works good. I need a front rack and shes complete.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:01 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Mine is a work in progress. I have to put a big shout out to latebird for the amazing engine work.
Got to here it run for a quick min tonight while I was bleeding the oil pump. Purred like a pretty little kitty.
Yours looks in really good shape for being a 98. Wish mine looked that good when I got it. It was pretty beat up. Bad mechanic and wasnt taken care of pretty much at all.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc80 View Post
Mine is a work in progress. I have to put a big shout out to latebird for the amazing engine work.
Got to here it run for a quick min tonight while I was bleeding the oil pump. Purred like a pretty little kitty.
Yours looks in really good shape for being a 98. Wish mine looked that good when I got it. It was pretty beat up. Bad mechanic and wasnt taken care of pretty much at all.

The guy that had this one I think let his boy work on it. Zero maintenance I lot of wrong bolts a stripped ones. I am still wondering why they didnt put on the center chain? I really only need it for around here and hunting, It will now be useful for me this season.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Xplorer and Xpedition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode