Polaris Xplorer and Xpedition Discussions for the Polaris Xplorer and Xpedition

2Likes
  • 1 Post By latebird
  • 1 Post By latebird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

2000 Xpedition 325 shift lever

Where can I find a replacement shift lever?
Many sites show the part number 5631054 but all are saying “not available”?

Started with troubles getting into reverse, recognized some play in the lever which may or may not be the issue...
Had to tap the lever off and can see the splines are boogered (shaft splines are good). Seems to me they could have made the spline section on the lever 1/4” wider and there would be more spline engagement.

Stumplifter
2000 Xpedition 325
bare bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:55 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

The correct number is 5631054-067, but it has been discontinued for so long the number is no longer in the system - the only chance of finding one is used and there are none on Ebay. It was only used on the 00-02 Xpedition 325. Other than finding a used one, you need to compare the splines on the shaft or lever to other makes and brands, find one with the same spline pattern and use it. NOTE: keep the lever tight and the splines will last the life of the machine.
stumplifter likes this.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks Latebird.
I understand what you are saying, sadly we bought this used and the splines on the gear shift lever were already wonky. Yesterday I tried tightening the bolt to get more clamping pressure and snapped the bolt! That is where the tapping the lever off bit above came from.

Thankfully they designed the lever softer than the shaft. Bolt piece was removed successfully. Found a jewelry file and gingerly cleaned up the spline grooves in the lever, it fits well until you get it centered where the bolt relief cut is on the shaft and even after clamping it tight there is play. Put a longer bolt in, in case this one snaps extraction should be easier. Also went one ‘tooth’ up from the alignment mark which seems to make getting in reverse functional.

Was kicking around the idea of putting a relief cut on the ‘inboard’ (towards the front of the vehicle) side of the spline so the bolt could squeeze the lever tighter... worried if I over torque things that the lever will snap at/around the spline and then it would truly be fubar.

Going to start the quest for a compatible shift lever, the Outer Diameter on the shaft splines is .44”, guessing it may be referenced as a 7/16” spline?

Stumplifter
2000 Xpedition 325
bare bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:17 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

The splines are metric.

I discovered the shift shaft for the 325 is the same as the 425 (part number 3086298 and no longer available) however the shift lever for the 425 is still available (part number 5630960-067 @ $78) - I can get the lever new for $50 plus shipping to you. There is one new on Ebay for $78 + $13 shipping HERE. It looks to be alloy and I don't know how close it is to the bend that you need, but you might consider getting a new one for the 425 and if it is not bolt on usable, it and your old one could be cut apart and welded together to give your old lever a new boss.

Or you might try to find a used one for the 325 or the 425, but I didn't have any luck finding a used one.
stumplifter likes this.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Last edited by latebird; 09-01-2019 at 06:26 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thank you again. Solid advice.

The offset of the lever coming from the shaft is approximately 1” outside to outside and the offset begins about 1.5” from the ‘rear’ end of the lever.

Will try to get a couple picks next to a scale to see if eyeballing might be enough.

Stumplifter
2000 Xpedition 325
bare bone stock
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shift Lever 1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	119921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shift Lever 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	119923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shift Lever 3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	119925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shift Lever 4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	119927  

Stumplifter
2000 Xpedition 325
bare bone stock

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Xplorer and Xpedition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode