Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this ‘95 Magnum 425 4x4 last year primarily for ice fishing. Previous owner put a new carb in before I bought it and it ran good. Went to fire it up this weekend and it gave me a hell of time getting it started.

Finally got it started on full choke by backing the idle screw all the way out. But the second you give it gas or take the choke off it dies instantly. But it’ll all day long at full choke as long as you don’t touch the throttle.

Pulled the carb and it was spotless.
Pulled the fuel pump (original) and it wasn’t horrible, but I’m getting a new one to eliminate all possibilities. Also getting a new inline filter.

Anything else I should check while I’ve got it all torn apart?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If it will only run using the enrichener, the carb needs to be serviced or the gas may be stale - it's not how clean the float bowl is, it's how clean the metering circuits are

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So replacing the original fuel pump and the existing filter will only help my situation.

I'll dump the gas and put fresh of that in as well.

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
When you had the carb off did you spray carb cleaner through all the passages? Your symptoms indicate that enough fuel is getting into the float bowl but not through the jets into the engine. It can't hurt to change the pump and filter, but I think you need to clean out the carb also if you haven't already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts