Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forums but have read a few handy tips here in the past.

I've searched on here for a possible solution but haven't seen it.

I have a 2000 Magnum 500, all stock. I recently had it out on a trail and ran through a large puddle, but not very deep. Right after that something got messed up. I was able to rev the engine really high but would only move very slightly. I took it home and dried everything out but the same thing happens. I have the cover off the clutch and the belt doesn't seem worn, but it does seem to be loose. I just don't know how loose it should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:Med:

·
11,289 Posts
Your belt got wet and then you burnt it by not drying it out first....you'll need a new belt and get the cover sealed so it don't leak again. In the future if your belt gets wet, drain the excess water out first and then let the machine run in neutral. Rev it up a little till the belt dries out before trying to proceed.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The front clutch needs a good cleaning.You'll need some aerosal brake cleaner and maybe a lil compressed air.
Remove the belt and spray down the clutch, in every spot that you can, then blow dry.
Jack it up on all fours, start it up , with the cover removed and rev it up ever so slowly to check clutch operation. You should see the pulley go in and put the squeeze on the belt and the belt go to the top of the sheaves

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

I'm picking up the parts this weekend and will let you know how it turns out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts