Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 00 scrambler 500 4x4 from my uncle. It starts and idles fine (although the idle seems pretty low to me) but anything off idle it bogs really bad. There's a fuel drip from the drain tube. I put a new plug in it and the old plug was covered in soot which I kinda figured it was going to be just from how rich the exhaust smells. I read the sticky and this seems to cover my symptoms pretty well.

Fuel over flowing from the bowl - this is caused by a bad float needle or varnish/dirt preventing the float needle from seating, or the float is out of adjustment.
symptoms - worst case is fuel continually flowing from the carb into your engine or airbox or out the overflow. This can also be show up as a very rich running engine, or slow drip from overflow when engine is running. The engine will stumble and stall, running rich and choking itself out. Spark plug will be coated with black soot.
Fix - see carb cleaning, additionally, check the adjustment of the float arm to make sure it is perfectly parallel to the bowl gasket seat. If not you need to bend the little brass tang on the float arm until it is resting parallel when the carb is held upside down.
prevent - install inline fuel filter and always store machine with a full tank of gas. Stabil can help but will not totally prevent the issue.
My question then is should I try just cleaning the carb first or go ahead and order a rebuild kit? I have a buddy that knows way more about carbs than I do that's supposed to come over in the next day or two and give me a hand with it. I'm itching to get it up and running so I'm wondering if I should just order the rebuild and have it here? Is one rebuild kit better or more complete than another? Believe I read to stay away from ebay kits which I can see but what about others?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
went ahead and just ordered a rebuild kit from the dealer....figure if I have it torn down this far I might as well do it for how cheap they are. Plus it'll be some good learning experience since I've never had a carb apart. I took the float bowl off and it was full of trash. I'm pretty sure a good cleaning is probably all it needed but like I say.....if I have it down this far I might as well put new o rings and what not in it.
I did look at the float level while I had the bowl off and it doesn't look like it's riding at the correct level by what I've read on here. Everyone says that center line should be parallel to the base of the carb. Mine isn't.....it's riding higher. Is it common for a float to just get out of adjustment? I'm just not sure why a float would get out of adjustment from factory? I'm not making any adjustments on it until I have the new parts in and recheck it to make sure it just isn't some dirt causing it but just going by what I've read as to where that float is supposed to be it's not correct the way it sits now which would explain probably most of my problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Orion, my machine is doing the same thing as you've posted here. I did re-build the carb and cleaned it three times and still, same symptoms. Did you ever get yours fixed? If so, what was the resolution??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not yet......still leaks fuel out of the overflow tube but it's running like it's brand new. So far my solution has been to just turn the gas off when we're done riding it but I'm going to have to tear it back down and figure out what's going on there. I've read to take the carb off and hook a gas supply up to it to fill the bowl. Open that drain valve on the bottom and extend the clear tube up above the carb. Where the gas stops going up the tube is your float level. I'm going to try that first to just see where that float level is at. It has all new o-rings so unless one is out of spec I can't see that being an issue. Pain in the butt for sure though. Just waiting on a little warmer weather to start tearing it back down. There will be a window during the spring thaw where my yard would take a beating from the kids riding it out there so that seems as good a time as any to tear it apart.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
orion..sounds like you just need to adjust the fuel bowl float level....and also check to see if you have the float needle hooked up right...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks....I'm going to look it over here soon when it warms up but I'm 99.9% sure everything went back together correctly. It almost has to be the float I think. I've been wrong before though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts