Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 300 4 stroke that won't start. It ran fine last time we rode it, and then wouldn't start when it was next tried. It was a few weeks later.

I have never worked on an ATV before, so please forgive the newb questions!

I started looking at it this evening. I noticed that the fuel switch was leaking, so I plan on replacing it. I'm wondering if that would keep it from starting?
The carburetor had two full lines attached. Neither one of them had fuel in it when I pulled them off. Are they both supply lines, or is one a fuel return?
Again, I'm thinking the fuel switch might be messed up and not letting any fuel pass by it.
I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it. It looked ok.
Any other suggestions for things I should check or stuff to do while I'm at it?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have an 01 300 4 stroke that won't start. It ran fine last time we rode it, and then wouldn't start when it was next tried. It was a few weeks later.

I have never worked on an ATV before, so please forgive the newb questions!

I started looking at it this evening. I noticed that the fuel switch was leaking, so I plan on replacing it. I'm wondering if that would keep it from starting?
The carburetor had two full lines attached. Neither one of them had fuel in it when I pulled them off. Are they both supply lines, or is one a fuel return?
Again, I'm thinking the fuel switch might be messed up and not letting any fuel pass by it.
I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it. It looked ok.
Any other suggestions for things I should check or stuff to do while I'm at it?
Thanks!!
WELCOME!!

I think your on the right track! Check out that shut off! If no fuel is seen getting to the carb you def found the problem.

CW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! Think I found it. I had to charge the battery, so I let it sit while I came in and ate, made these posts, etc. When I went back out to resume work, I hit the electric start and it fired right up. Apparently the spark plug was dirtier than it appeared. Put it all back together and went for a ride, and all is well.
Going to go ahead and get a new plug this week, plus a replacement for the fuel switch before it gets to leaking any worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts