Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime you get on the gas it starts cutting out like its going to die and then takes off.is it time to rebuild the carburator or something else wrong?

·
Registered
16 Posts
where's this safety switch?????????????? I have the same problems.
keith 24k - I have the same quad with the same problems. lets work together.
[email protected] and I'll provide my contact info. I'll tell you all the solutions i've tried for this with no help so you can not waste your time.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
there is nothing to adjust on the switch, you just want to check throttle freeplay as dale said. the switch is just there to kick in if it thinks the throttle is stuck wide open and severly limits the machine via rpms

·
Registered
16 Posts
there is a 2 wire plug going to the throttle cable (thumb) spot. will those wires lead to the switch in question? how would i check to see if the switch is bad. the throttle cable seems to be ok (not sticking) and the lever has some play in it.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
ooh i cant remember where the throttle safety switch is. it might, im only a parts guy, not a tech so this is getting a little bit out of my knowledge

·
Registered
16 Posts
blueline,
can you give me a schematic for the throttle controls on the handle bars so I can see what the two wire up there do? also, i think i'm going to replace the fuel pump as this could be the issue, how much and where would I get it? Tried it again last night and i can get it to idle, but when i "punch" it, it'll die. so if the fuel pump is only giving a certain amount to the fuel bowls then this might explain it or if the throttle safety switch is acting up...... I've also considered a clogged main jet, but it's way to consistant to be that in my opinion. I don't think after cleaning the carb 4 times that something is clogging it the same way everytime.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
dragrcr890

let me see what i can pull up. the fiche doesnt show much for throttle controls so let me see all that i can find. im a little busy right now but should have time later tonight too. ill get back to you asap and get some fiches posted for you

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
the OEM one that you could get from any dealer for a fuel rebuild kit is:

part # 3088170 and it retails for $41.72

or.....
you could get a brand new aftermarket fuel pump from someone like western power sports for about the same price. any polaris dealers should be able to order from WPS for you. i provided a link for you to the online WPS catalog that has the fuel pumps and rebuild kits.

WPS fuel pumps and rebuild kits

·
Registered
71 Posts
The throttle safety on my atv was inside the throttle on the handle bar. I pulled the cover and found the spring was worn on the thumb control... It was hitting the switch and wouldn't let my bike run... So rather than 150 for a new throttle I used my 2 dollar wire snips and now she runs like a champ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts