Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sportsman 500 HO is overheating. I have cleaned the radiator fins good and blew them out, I checked the thermostat and it opens in hot water, I looked in the radiator with the cap off and the antifreeze was moving through the top hose with the thermostat out, And I changed oil and filter and It still overheats. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,knute

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
421 Posts
is it really over heating? could be just the sensor if the anitfrezz isent bubbling and what not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
response

The fan comes on, it seems like it is getting kind of warm when it does but I think it it supposed to be about 180 degrees before it does. I am sure it is overheating because it spews anti-freeze out of the overflow and the radiator will usually take at least a quart and a half of fluid. The hot light usually doesn't come on unless I don't notice it for a while.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would check with a temp gun the temp that the fan is kicking on and then be sure to check the temp when it kicks off. if i remember right the 01 500's have a temp switch on the lower right hand of the radiator. when they start to go bad they wont kick on at the right temp. hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts