Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an owner of an 01 400 xplorer and I only ride maybe 2 to 3 times a month. My polaris is in the shop regularly for the switches(4 times) on the tranny for gear indicators and starter brushes(twice in one year). Is this to be expected of this atv or do I have a special vehicle? Any help appreciated. At $125 for the switches, $55 each and install, and the cost of the rebuild on the starter it's getting expensive to run this thing.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sounds like you could have a ground problem If you keep blowing switches. Is your dealer using oem starter brushes or the cheap china crap. Replacing brushes when the armature is bad does defeat the purpose, that could be your problem. It might be worth it to replace the whole starter and start over. Make sure the overflow tubes from the carb are not able to drain on the starter this will destroy the o-ring seals causing premature failure. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DDD,
Thanks for the quick reply and I'll be asking questions when I pick my xplorer up. It's frustating to have these problems when it runs so good but for the small stuff.
tbird

1 - 5 of 5 Posts