Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the many posts on belt slipping and clutch problems and after doing some of the suggested fixes I still have a slipping/chattering problem when the ATV starts off & is under load.

I only use the ATV for mowing (front deck) and plowing snow. I have a few pretty substantial hills that I mow and last year the machine started slipping and chattering when I began to mow up the hills. For the 8 years prior I never had a problem. Finally it quit moving and I found the belt totally torn apart. Replaced the belt without doing anything else and the slipping started appearing again after a short time. Replaced the plastic buttons in the secondary clutch and cleaned both clutches. Ran pretty good for a short time and then the symptons started up again.

Been plowing snow the last few weeks and it will slip initially then take off and plow very easy and good. I did check and the slipping is not because of ice or snow. Not sure where to go from here. At one point shortly after the clutch rebuild I got stuck and gave it a lot of gas and I thought I smelled burnt rubber - similar to what I smelled when the other belt disintegrated but I took the cover off and the belt looked fine. I also took some fine sandpaper & went over both edges of the belt very lightly and took the gloss off.

Is it possible that I messed up the new belt when initally replaced before rebuilding the secondary clutch? Suggestions please. Mowing season is right around the corner.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Sounds like your primary clutch needs some attention. Could be worn bushings, rollers, weight pins, or egged out weight holes. Take the belt off, remove the spring from the primary and put the cover back on the clutch. Then slide it closed and open and see if it binds up at all. Should slide smoothly and not have much wiggle to it. Check the rollers to make sure they are turning freely and have no flat spots on them and make sure the weights are running in the center of them and not of to one side to far. Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably won't get to this for a while. I have a friend who is a mechanic and has the tools to help get the primary off. I hear it's not that easy.

Thanks so much for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts