Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, but not new to Polaris. I've been riding Polaris ATV's since 1996 when I bought a 400 Explorer. I now own a 2001 400 Sportman, and my son has an RZR 170. My question is about my Sportman. It has about 550 miles on it, and has never been ridden hard. In the last few months I have noticed it has gotten hard to start when the engine is cold. It will start, but I have to hold about half throttle, and it spins over several times before it hits. I changed the plug, but it didn't make any differance. I know the gas is good, and I don't think the compression would be an issue with so few miles. Once running the engine is strong, and will fire back up easily after it hits that first time. Any thoughts? Does this sound like a carb problem or something else?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yeah, probably a carb problem.

my guess is the float bowl is getting filled up while the machine just sits there. so when you first start it, there is way too much fuel in the carb, and by holding the throttle open, you are allowing more air in too, helping to equalize the air/fuel mixture. it has to crank over a few times to get air pulled in to fire up. it burns off the excess fuel pretty quick, and will start up easily after the first time because the bowl hasnt had time to fill back up with fuel.

try this before you tear into it. before you go to start it cold, find the float bowl drain and open it up and leave it open until it stops dripping fuel. not much fuel will come out, but let everything thats inside come out. then close the float bowl drain up, and try to immediantly fire it up without any throttle imput. see if it will fire up that way pretty easily

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try that

Thansk for the reply. I'll give that a try, it does sort of act like it's flooded, so you may be right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts