Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i watched as i tried starting the atv and the bolts got red hot and so hot they melted off the battery terminals..i checked both pos and neg wires for bad connections or wear/tear but could not find any issues. not sure where or what to do or check next and cant afford to bring it to a shop..any help would be greatly apriecaited, ty

·
Registered
52 Posts
starter may be bad, shorting out and pulling to much current

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I agree that the starter is shorted out. As long as no battery wires are shorting out. thanks

·
Registered
3,417 Posts

I'd check the solenoid first. If it is shorting out inside it'll be a big short too. Plus it's easier and cheaper to replace if needed.
where is this located and who do i check to c if its gd or not ? solenoid ..thanx
It is on the left side of the battery box. The + positive battery cable goes to it. I still think it's your starter. Let me ask you this when you let off the start button does the starter stay engaged. thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no it acually struggles to get the starter started if that makes sence..like a weak battery and screeches abit

·
Registered
601 Posts
I agree starter is drawing way too much voltage and frying the cables.....Muddie49

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree starter is drawing way too much voltage and frying the cables.....Muddie49
I agree, Bushing in the starter is binding and the starter motor is drawing too much current.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so i tried a new battery and same issue..i fixed the re-coil to use the pull start untill i can afford a new starter but it is so hard to pull at a sticking point that it accually hurt my fingers..would this all be related or a diffrent issue ? found some starters on ebay cheap anyone have any experiences with these ? also does the bendex need to brem replaced also ? still havnt found a diagram on how to take started off since i read somewhere the bolts are hard to find,ty

·
Registered
497 Posts
Some auto parts stores like Napa and Auto Zone will check auto starters for free. I would assume that they could hook up and check an ATV starter to see what kind of pull it takes to get it going.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some auto parts stores like Napa and Auto Zone will check auto starters for free. I would assume that they could hook up and check an ATV starter to see what kind of pull it takes to get it going.
how do i get it out with-out specail tools to remove clutch ect . ? anybody know ?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
ok so i tried a new battery and same issue..i fixed the re-coil to use the pull start untill i can afford a new starter but it is so hard to pull at a sticking point that it accually hurt my fingers..would this all be related or a diffrent issue ? found some starters on ebay cheap anyone have any experiences with these ? also does the bendex need to brem replaced also ? still havnt found a diagram on how to take started off since i read somewhere the bolts are hard to find,ty
The best place to buy a starter and drive is www.dbelectricial.com you can get both for around $86.00 . The bolts are behind the belt cover. I have a wrench that has been grinded down to fit in the tight space. A ratchet wrench would probally be better but I used what I had. Once the bolts are out rotate the starter and it will come out. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The best place to buy a starter and drive is www.dbelectricial.com you can get both for around $86.00 . The bolts are behind the belt cover. I have a wrench that has been grinded down to fit in the tight space. A ratchet wrench would probally be better but I used what I had. Once the bolts are out rotate the starter and it will come out. Thanks
TYVM..and if anyone has a daigram of this area or a lnk too much appreicaited...

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts