Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Polaris riders. I am new to the forum and hoping someone can guide me on an issue. I am new to ATVs and riding as well.

I purchased this year an 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. When I bought it i test drove and and was able to ride in high with 2 wheel and activate the AWD system. Seemed to work fine but admittedly, I did not necessarily put the ATV in a situation where I might be able to see the front wheels spin.

Well this past weekend I did get the ATV in the situation, activated the AWD, and noticed the front wheel that was completely off the ground was not spinning.

So admittedly, did the AWD ever work? I am not sure which is why I am seeking your help. What steps can I take to troubleshoot this issue? In addition, I should mention that the speedometer is completely busted and not working, it only reads the miles and does light up but not tell speed. Also, the lighted section that reads H, N, R does not light up. I believe the ATV was rolled at some point.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
A malfunctioning speedometer can keep the AWD rom working as the control wiring routes through it. The front ends are also locked on them so once it engages AWD both front tires should spin the same no matter what. Sounds like it needs some electrical exploration and maybe a new speedometer setup before you go any deeper.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
First thing I would do is get all 4 wheels off the ground, put machine on jack stands, and see what works and what doesn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts