Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 Sportsman 500 HO and recently it started stalling when engaging the gears. It will idle fine with no problems but as soon as you put it in high, low, or reverse it dies out. Have changed the belt because we knew we stretched it but that hasn't helped. It is carburated so we have put carburator cleaner through and let it run. Still no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?:hmmm:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you let it warm up?The same happened with mine. I just let it warm up and it was fine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
sound like the motor is running fine at an idle...it when it under work load? correct... the belt could be the problem or fuel pressure.

take the cvt cover off and watch the belt when you engage it.. might be but it prob wouldnt kill it, it would take off.. if a clutch was bad...

does it rev up in nuetral

there could be a sensor on the transmission which i can not help with....

gave ya some idea

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sound like the motor is running fine at an idle...it when it under work load? correct... the belt could be the problem or fuel pressure.

take the cvt cover off and watch the belt when you engage it.. might be but it prob wouldnt kill it, it would take off.. if a clutch was bad...

does it rev up in nuetral

there could be a sensor on the transmission which i can not help with....

gave ya some idea
The motor runs fine - cold or after it has warmed up. If you hold the gas in slightly then shift it into gear it runs fine as long as you don't stop. When you stop it bogs down and shuts off. Starts right back up, idles fines but engage the gears and it bogs down and shuts off. :shocked:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Are you 100% its the right belt. Take it off like said before . Really sounds like belt is dragging

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem right now.....and I JUST changed the belt today :/

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got it straight from the dealer too...part# 3211069.....wishing I had read up on all this first too because the pulleys did look a little glazed and in the beginning it seemed a little difficult to shift it into gear as well.....

·
11,155 Posts
LOL...This thread was started more than 3 years ago. If the OP hasn't figured out by now that his primary clutch was stuck he probably isn't going to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a 92 bayou 300 2 wheel drive atv. I just bought it. It was running fine brand new crab and other stuff. The other day on a drive I noticed it would just die for no reason. Wait 5 minents it would start right up. Then the next few minents it would die agin. I took the plug out and there was no fire. Soon as 5 min passed it would fire up. Then I got home left it over night the next day I went out and it would not start...took the plug out and no spark what so ever...now here’s the catch,,,,when I bought the bike the guy said he lost fire but order a new CD I unit. When it came it never worked(weird) but put a used one on and got fire agin. So when I bought the bike he give the new CD I unit to me....now....when the fire went I said I’m gonna put that CD I on the bike and try it. I did,,,,and way to go I had spark. But it starts and dies right away. Start it agin and as long as your holding the throttle a bit it will stay running. Will until you put it in gear. Then it shuts off and will start right up agin and if you can give it throttle while putting it in gear you can get it to go...but some times it will just die like I turn off the kill switch. Stop put it in nutreal and give it a bit of throttle and it runs agin for say 5 to 10 min and then agin it will die agin. Would it be a bad CD I unit. Like this new one never worked on the bike at first but then it did. When I had it before I put this new CD I on it ran fine except when it die while you were ridding. Then I figure ok it was a bad CD I unit. But why not work right with a new one. So I ordered a new one agin and coil. Please please please help me. I’m from Newfoundland Canada. Newfie John.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts