Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and just bought my first atv from a local dealer. Checking it over at the dealer it sounded fine, probably didnt let it warm up as long as i should have. Got it home and went for my first ride and noticed a knock in the motor at idle when i was pulling it in the garage, sounded like a rod knock. Ive seen alot on here about polaris engines being noisey, is it normal? Also had the coolant overflow topped off before i left the dealer and its back down to the low level it was while it wad there. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You don't fill the bottle when cold. It holds the coolant when it gets hot. Expansion. If you fill it there isn't enough room for the coolant to expand and it spits it out. Mine stays at just below the add or low mark when cold. When it warms up to operating temperature the bottle is up to the full mark.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Had the same thing last summer. Antifreeze was a little low filled it and it went back to low so just watched it. Not long after started knocking a little bit. Still ran great with lots of power. After a couple rides started losing power then locked up. Antifreeze was in oil and it split the rod on the crank then took out the cylinder head. Ended up picking up a rebuilt motor for 1200. Never did find out wear gasket failed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Only my opinion but I would take it right back to dealer and have them fix it or trade for a different one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts