Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sportsman cut out on me today while riding, I couldn't get it to start after but it turns over. I heard a backfire earlier today when I let off the throttle. Does anyone know what can cause this, could it be a bad plug or can something be wet? I really don't know where to start looking

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
First thing is check slack in throttle cable, should only be 1/8 inch at thumb throttle, adjustment is on cable about 4 inches from throttle

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this is the problem wouldn't the bike start If I push the throttle in a bit while starting?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Start with the basics make sure you're getting fuel make sure you have spark. How long were you riding for? Also any more info 2 stroke 4 what size

Sent from my TBDG1073 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 400 4 stroke, I was riding through a trail with soft snow for about 15 minutes and then on a pond for about 5 minutes, there was water on the pond so maybe something got wet and is causing problems, also the bike won't idle sometimes so can it be the throttle control switch? I haven't checked spark yet but I probably will tomorrow if I have time

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rough idle or it dies like you shut it off when you let off the throttle?

Sometimes when I stop on the trail the bike will die pretty much instantly when I let go of the throttle, sometimes it idles fine, but today the bike shut off while driving down the pond at about 25mph and It wouldn't start afterwards

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked on it, she's getting spark but I changed the plug anyways with a ngk iridium bike still wouldn't start so I poured a bit of gas into the cylinder and she fired up with the first click of the starter so I guess it's not getting the fuel for some reason

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pull the fuel line and see if you are getting fuel to the carb, if so then I would clean the carb and go from there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pull the fuel line and see if you are getting fuel to the carb, if so then I would clean the carb and go from there.

Is there gas in the tank? Just kidding!

I have had someone ask me about that before... "it wont run, so i pick it bring it back to my place.. get to tearing it apart and then it hits me.... theres a reserve on the tank and the fuel level was down below the higher pipe, Swapped the reserve switch. Bike ran great......."

It could be the float in the carb is stuck shut not allowing the bowl to fill with gas.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have an 02 500 that did the same thing. Backfired then wouldn't start. Turned out the flywheel key broke and threw the timing off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts