Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a used 2001 sportsman 500 with 200 miles on it and it leaks gas from the overflow off the carb. I changed the needle and seed, took the carb to the dealer and had the dealer reset everything to specks and still leaks.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!
Bad float? Float level set wrong??

·
Registered
527 Posts
It can only be the needle and seat, damaged float or float pin, float not set correctly, dirt logged underneath the needle and seat or the carb assembled wrong. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the same thing and that is why I had the dealership do the carb to specs and change the float, they said they can't figure it out either.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
an '01 with 200 miles that's almost nothing . wow how many hours??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no we did not have it pressure tested so we can have that done too.

We bought the machine from an older gentleman that only plowed his drive way so it only has 80 hours on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pressure testing is easy. All you need is a squeeze bulb with a guage. Put the float and needle in and inser the floa pin. Invert the carb so that gravity pushes the float to the "up" position. Pump air into the fuel inlet and watch the guage on the pump. you should get at least 8-10 psi of hold. It may go up to 15 psi before it loses seal and bleeds off some. If it pumps up to about 10, then you see the guage falling, spray some wd40 around the needle and seat and pump it back up to about 10 psi. If you see the wd40 bubbling out around the needle, then the needle/seat are bad. If you see the bubbles coming from OUTSIDE the seat, the O-ring behind the seat itself is leaking and not the needle and seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts