Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This machine runs great going forward. But when I put it in reverse, it starts sputtering and coughing so bad that it won't even move! Any ideas why it would do that? I recently replaced the intake valve and might have gotten the timing chain off by a tooth, but it runs great except in reverse.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you pushing the override button?
No. In fact, I have never used it and don't even know where it is. I had thought about trying that and see if it makes a difference. There is a possibility that it might be stuck. I'll try that today.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
It stalls in reverse for safety reasons unless you press that override button on the left handle bar. Use caution when pressing this button in reverse because the speed in reverse is unlimited when it is pressed. You also have to press that button in order to have 4wd in reverse.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's 2WD, so that's a moot point.

I tested it today and it works great forward and reverse!!! I tested it cold, and the last time it failed, I remember that it was hot. So I took it for a ride. At the end of the ride, it still runs as well backwards as it does forward now! As far as I can tell, the only difference is that today it is 70 degrees. When it failed, it was close to 90, so I'm guessing that heat is causing it to fail. Same gas, just a week older. It's ethanol free, so that wouldn't be a factor. I haven't changed anything at all! I figure that it will work great until I really need it, then it will fail!

Even though it was working, I pushed the override button and it didn't make any difference, but I didn't punch it either. So that's still to be tested.

Thanks for the replies!

Spence

1 - 5 of 5 Posts