Polaris ATV Forum banner

02 400 Sportsman electrical issue!!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jaugot24 
#1 ·
Have an unusual problem with my '02 Sportsman 400. for a while I noticed that at night, the headlights would flick on and off. Now after being gone for 3 weeks and returning home, the battery is dead. Plus, when I start it with the pull cord, it idles OK but the speedometer hand is moving all over the place, while it's sitting there idling. Rev it up a little and the hand moves back towards zero. Let go the throttle and the hand starts moving again. Can also notice the light in the speedometer flickers while this is all happening. Anyone know what's going on here?

#2 ·
After you get the battery charged up or replaced, check to see if the charging voltage is up to spec.
As far as the lights flickering ,it may be time for a new circuit breaker, i believe that one is under the hood on the right side, you can normally hear them clicking or will feel warm to the touch. They can be gotten at most auto parts store.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply 4getful2. Not planning on replacing the battery just yet - like I said, it was a perfectly good battery. So I'd like to figure out what brought it down in the first place. I changed out the stator last spring, and recently repaired my winch. Haven't had any issues till now, but I'm wondering if it has anything doing with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.