Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, it's rare I get stumped, but I've been through about everything and still stuck on this one. Probably over thinking it. Got an 02 700 in the shop. Starts right up, idles perfect. throttle response in neutral is good. Go to drive it and anything over 1/4-1/3 throttle does nothing more than make more noise. Will top out at about 35-40 in high gear in about 6 blocks.

Things done so far:

Cleaned carb, checked jetting, diaphragm on slide, choke, ETC, carb boot, air and fuel filters. Tried a different fuel pump. All good

Replaced plugs, ohmed out caps, plug wires and coil. Ohmed out stator. All good.

Replaced worn bushings in primary and secondary clutch and washers next to one-way bearing. All working good there now.

Removed exhaust and checked for obstructions. All clear.

Only issue I've found is it is over charging a bit over 1/3 throttle. Getting about 16-16.5v out of it. But that shouldn't make it run like this. Seems to be fuel or air related, but everything checks out. Anyone have one do this before that can help?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Would an exhaust leak cause this kind of behavior?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Have you checked the vent tube that goes from the back of the cylinder to the airbox? the white filter looking thing would get moisture in them and freeze and crack causing a n airleak,there was a recall on them and Polaris would give you a new tube without the filter, the tube us different sizes on both ends..

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hey Ryan....I wish I could help but it sounds like you covered everything and more that I would check. I'm not saying this site doesn't have gurus to help with your issue , but the more help the merrier right? Go to the site "atv connection" and click on the polaris subject thread , or even "ask the expert" in the polaris subject threads. There is a guy there who is a retired polaris technician called OPT. (Old polaris tech) he's very knowledgeable and usually will answer questions the same day..... Hope you figure out this issue.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've talked with OPT before on a couple issues. Hrs been a great help In the past. I've already sent him a message. Thanks for the point in that direction.

·
Registered
862 Posts
How's the compression? If one cylinder is flat it will probably idle pretty well. That or the over voltage could be causing the ignition control to throw the timing off.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it still has the original Ducatti ignition. It runs on both cylinders, just seems like the timing advance is gone. Seen that on a bunch of vintage race sleds over the years. It's getting a new ignition next week.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine had similar issues, 700 2004, non ducati, it turned out to be a plug wire rubbing and grounding to the frame, only while moving, not at idle, and it would miss around 40 mph and get through it. Followed the wires and got lucky and found a wear mark, taped it, ran fine. They have since been replaced without re-occurring issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check the rubber intake manifold for cracks. Had mine do same thing then found the rubber intake cracked and was causing a lean condition anywhere past 1/4 throttle

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should have updated this. Turned out to be mainly the cam and all the lifters were shot. And the ignition advance was gone as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts