Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So playing in the woods yesterday, the awd seems to kick in whenever it wants. The switch has 2 positions right covers the awd letters, left you can see the awd letters. On my magnum I have the same switch and know how it works, move left and the letters/switch turn red indicating its on. This one doesn't seem to matter-the wheels get to spinning and the front kicks in no matter the switch setting?? It also doesn't light up and seems to take quite a bit of spinning before the fronts kick in and sometimes do so violently. I know there is supposed to be slippage but it seems excessive. Is there any adjustment? Am I using the switch set correctly?

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
There is no adjustment - did you buy it new? Maybe someone wired it for full time AWD and the switch is bypassed? Maybe there is a problem in the circuit that needs to be addressed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its new to me, Ive had it a couple months now. There are some other issues like the speedo display is shot and the speedo doesn't work but I can live without those. The wiring looks relatively untouched other than what Ive added. There is a short in the light switch also, if you turn the lights on it kills the motor. I added 2 led pod lights with a switch and a relay.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
If the speedo doesn't work, that is probably the problem with the AWD - I will check later, but I believe the AWD is controlled by the speedo

I'll get back on it tomorrow

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Her's the pages from the service manual for troubleshooting the AWD - if this is too small, I can repost in a larger format or with an email address, I could send you the complete manual in PDF

·
9,408 Posts
A cracked cage or other worn/loose parts in the front housing or loose sloppy axle/output hubs splines can cause the front to engage spontaneously during higher rpm spinning of the drivetrain in 2wd. If you eliminate the issues in the manual's trouble shooting guide latebird provided then you'll need to look into the front housing itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, for now its a mute point as I drowned it last night playing and now the belt is slipping bad. Got it back in the shop and watching how to videos. I shouldnt say drowned, just wet and stuck. Will keep ya'll posted. If its not 1 thing its another...

·
9,408 Posts
If you take the drain plug out to let the water out of the cover and run the machine in neutral a few minutes it'll dry the belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts