Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read tons of posts on here with the problems so first off - sorry for another one.
I got this from my brother. R.F. hub was not working in awd. Took apart and was dry and everything was shot. Replaced all bearings,seals, clutch, armature plate,everything. Still didn't work. I've now replaced strut hub, outer hub, everything has been replaced except the axle. Plate magnetizes in awd but when put together I can stop the wheel. I'm at my whits end. 12 volts at plug. 23.7 ohms on coil side of plug.
I'm wondering if the splines could be worn down enough to not grip the clutch nut good enough? Tried splicing into the ground wire also. Didn't help.
Please figure this out for me. I've got several hundred dollars invested and I haven't gained an inch

·
Registered
69 Posts
So are the magnets adjusted correctly when the armature plate is placed on the magnet and power is applied is it stuck quite hard or just stuck lightly see pic It needs to have a fair amount of resistance (effort) to turn the plate to work and remember the AWD will only work when the front and rear wheels turn at different speeds as when the rear starts to bog lose traction when traction is regained it goes back to rear wheel only
4 demand.PNG
4 demand operation.PNG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Yes there is a good amount of resistance on the Armature plate. I checked all that before I put it back together, and then once it's together it's not operating the way it should. I torqued the spindle nut to 15 lbs, backed off a 1/2 turn, rotated the rear wheels which made the front wheels turn for several rotations, and then retorqued to 12 pounds. The bike is on jackstands so the rear wheels are spinning when the awd kicks in

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you take any photo of the parts that you can show here so we can see. What did you use to lube the hub clutch with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope this is what you mean. I use Polaris Demand Drive Fluid. Fill it till it runs out at about the 3 o'clock position. I have a video as well to show the hub operating but I can't attach it.
20200324_165845.jpg
20200324_171130.jpg
20200324_165900.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So it was working. Drove it up and down driveway and it quit again. Pulled it back apart, now it won't magnetize. Light is on. L.F. is fine. If the light is on before I start it, it works. I put it in reverse, pulled it outside the light went out. Shut off, turn key to on position, light doesn't come on, soon as I start it the light comes on but then it will not magnetize right front wheel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Starting to sound like the wires down to the magnets may be damaged they are so not fit for purpose to light for the job they are doing. I would disconnect the wires from the connector block connect your test meter set ohms check it within spec then slowly move the wire about working your way down looking for changes in the reading indicating broken wire

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm kind of on the same page but I think it's from the other end. I've changed the strut hub and coil with the same results. Any suggestions on that end? Thanks for your input, by the way

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also - here in PA all non life sustaining businesses are closed so I can't get the polaris demand drive fluid. What do you think of Mobile 1 ATF?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi if its only effecting one side than it can only be that side wiring try ohms meter from grey wire to alloy strut should have open circuit (no reading) but just reading your message #6 again you know it won't work while riding along on a good surface it only works when the back wheel starts to lose traction so there a different speed from front to back wheel meaning the drive shaft on the front is rotating at the same speed as the front wheel when traction is lost there is a change in the front drive shaft speed to the front wheel causing the needles in the hub to be forced out to lock the hub up to Awd .Than in reverse same thing but you must hold the override button on to force Awd so soon as traction is regained Awd is disconnected the light stays on .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still haven't got the same figured out. Now the all wheel drive light comes on intermittently. Taking the switch apart and clean the contacts in there doesn't seem to help. I'm starting to believe that maybe the g.ear selector switch? That still would not explain Wadi right front is not working all the time. I replace the Hub strut along with the coil on it and it still has the same problem. Although, the parts are replaced it with are used. What are the odds of the same thing happening?

·
Registered
69 Posts
What ohms are you getting thru the brown and grey wires to the hub coil are they the same left and right or near to 25-30 ohms

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know with mine i had a broken wire where the wire was cable tied to the brake hose it took some finding cause it was intermittent but them wires are so fine mine had the outer sheath cracked and the wire was broken there from the flexing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe the wires are working in certain ways. How could I splice into those lines and run new wire up to the plug? Would they be able to withstand me cutting into them or am I going to have to replace the whole thing? Just seems weird that two struts with different coils have the same problem. Not out of the realm of possibility though. my other problem now is that my battery is not charging but that's a whole other separate issue. Finally gave up on the 4x4 just to get a ride and enjoy now I have charging issues.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Easy to repair just cut them strip & splice new wires solder them and heat shrink best practice stagger the cuts so there not side by side meaning cut them off then cut one about 1" shorter make a neater job. As far as the not charging i think i would be checking the flywheel i know my 97 it was a problem with the magnets coming lose on the inside of the flywheel damaging the stator you may want to search that one tricky to remove the flywheel you will need a flywheel puller but i know others have done it on here recently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cant quit obsessing about the 4x4. If it had a broken wire would I get ohms reading? I just checked again and they both have 24. Now the awd wont light and no power to plugs. Uggh!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts