Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just signed up and haven't had time to search all the threads yet, so if this question has been already answered, sorry.

I just traded off my 400EX for this '02 Scrambler 400 4x4.
The rear shock is really slow on the rebound. I'm sure it needs a fresh nitrogen charge and probably a rebuild. I'd like to try and charge it first before tearing it all the way down though.
Is there any way to charge this up myself or do I need to take it to a suspension shop?
I haven't even had the chance to see what kind of fill fitting it has yet.
Thanks for any advice you folks can give.
JP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea what that might cost to get it rebuilt?
Any suggestions on where to send it for that?
I'm wondering if it might not be cheaper to find a good used on on ebay. I've seen several for just under $100.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ever used one I have ever seen needs to be recharged, so you would be better off having yours rebuilt. I rebuild them for 40.00 a shock plus parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, how much do parts usually run and what all gets replaced?
I can take the shock off the atv and ship it to you.
What is your normal turn around time?
Right now, it pushed down fairly easily and comes up kinda slow with a nasty squeaking kinda noise. The squeaking could be coming from the swingarm bearings though, I haven't had time to check it out. However, the noise is mainly on the return stroke and I would think the swingarm would squeak both ways.
And just out of curiosity, what does a heavier spring cost? I'm a 370 lb rider.

Thanks, JP

·
Registered
527 Posts
The rebuild kit is 25.00 which includes all parts to rebuild the shock. We could re valve your shock per rider weight this would be an additional 30.00 to 40.00 depending on what valving needs to be used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds good.
I'm not so worried about the valving. I'm just a casual rider/slow rock crawler. I just thought maybe a heavier main spring might help to hold up my weight.
Does your rebuild cost include the return shipping?
How long will it take to get it back? (I will need it for deer season in November)

Thanks again for your help and info, JP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts