Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting thing happened to me that I'm not sure where to start diagnosing.
In forward gear it acts like the reverse limiter is engaged. I can occasionally push the forward and reverse gear lever back and forth to get back to normal operation.

Whats up with that?

Maybe for a separate thread- On an unrelated additional issue: Engine labors to a stop, after I've pushed heavy snow for several minutes (like 30 +/-). IMO and lack of better key words. Acts like the engine is overheating and seizing. But if I let it cool down, I'm back in business with less time to failure again. Radiator fans come on and off as normal I need to mention.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
maybe from pushing the snow the belt and clutches are hot and it's blowing the hot air on the motor .check to see where the belt exhaust comes out at. feel the belt-clutch cover

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
as far as reverse limiter goes, check throttle play, lever should move about 1/8" before motor revs at all.

also check shift linkage, it may need to be tightened up some.

is the cooling system plum full when the motor is cold and the resevoir tank is filled to the cool line?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check the shift linkage play and report back.

I found the belt & clutch suggestion interesting. I recall one occasion where a village of mice built a nest completely plugging the hole and I'm sure it was like that for a long time and felt no ill effects like I described above. Thanks for the input.

Finally for the radiator levels; they are right on spec.

BUT - Is there a simple way to check the water pump operation without breaking down the side of the engine????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked linkage looks and operates fine. Developed another fatal problem, started pushing snow ATV moved forward and sputtered to a stop. Now it will not start and makes a HUGE backfire near the carborator area.

Creating a new post for this maybe related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts