Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this atv used and beat up. Has never had operational awd.

What I have done so far:
Speedometer never worked. I wired it so the magnets would always have power. I replaced one magnetic coil and it holds the armature plate very strong.

I put it back together torqued to specs and have power through the axle, armature plate, hillard clutch.

When all 4 tires are off the ground the hub turns but I can stop the rotation with my hand if I try with some force. Feels like it is grabbing but not "locking"

So for grins, I took out the outer bearing that sits inside the strut. I put everything back together and the front hub locked in. What does that mean? (I want it to operate with all the bearings though)

So any suggestions what I should look at now?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
How much did you torque the axle bolt? Is the bearing the same as the other side? Sounds like you are on the right track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for responding to my questions. I torqued it to something like 16 and then 14.

Ill have to look at the bearing. Are you referring to the other side of the atv or the knuckle?

What seems odd to me is that the front wheel is very hard to turn. It doesn't roll easily by manually turning the back wheel? Could that be something with the bearing? Could that be why it locks in properly when I remove the outer knuckle bearing?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The other wheel. If its like mine the inner and outer bearings are different sizes. Have you changed the fluid in the front diff? You need to know why the wheels are so hard to turn. They should rotate easily while off the ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill check the other wheel to match the bearing. Does the outside bearing race inside the knuckle fit only one location or does it have to be measured when installed? I can understand how a bad bearing will make it difficult to turn in...but could it also make the clutch not lock in?

fyi...yes new fluid. ive done this so many times ive almost used a whole bottle of fluid. If anyone needs to know the order of the parts I can do it in my sleep, but can't tell you why it wont work. thanks!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gear case has fresh oil. When you install the race in the knuckle does it stop at a predetermined point or can it go in further? Hilliard in the right way.
So far it sounds like the bearing may be the issue but why? When I took out the outer knuckle bearing it locked in.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
the races only go so far. Does the other side work? If so take it apart and make sure that everything is the same on both sides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The other side does work now. When I got it the outer ring around the magnetic coil was not right.

I replaced the bad bearing...so I thought. It didn't fix the problem.

I started looking at the roll cage and the rolls weren't sliding easily. I cleaned up the roll cage with a file so they would move in and out. Also didn't fix the problem.

Any chance the inside of the hub has worn out? Do they do that?

Should the cam have corners like a nut? (does the outside look just like a nut you'd get a hardware store?)

If I start swapping the parts from the other side is that a good idea? Just by looking at the working side, everything looks to be the same.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
No they don't really wear out and its a cam action of the big nut underneath that forces the rollers out. I would take the Hilliard, the cam bolt and the armature plate to the other side and confirm it works on that side. Then through the process of elimination you can find out where the issue is. How much force does the magnet have? Is the working side way stronger than the other side?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Problem fixed. I had to replace the entire hilliard. I really think specifically it was the cage. The old hillird worked if I took out the outer hub bearng fr some reason. I figured it out by replacing parts one at a time from the working side. I can't believe how precise the parts have to be to work. Thank you for your input forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts