Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 sportsman 500 and i see that the front strut bearings use tapered roller bearings instead of ball bearings like the newer 04-09 models and i was wondering if i went ahead and got some front knuckles from an 04 or up if the diameter of the cv axle would be a different size than the axle on my 02. the previous owner of mine ran it untill the bearings were completely gone from the strut and the cv axle ate into the inside fo the knuckle where the bearings should be and i think its too bad to be able to put new bearings in. i cant seem to find a used front left knuckle from an 02 so i thought maybe if i could find some that would fit onto the cv axle thats on the 02 i wouldnt have to shovel out the 227$ for a new one from polarispartshouse.com .

Buy Polaris Parts | Polaris Parts House

THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Have you looked on E-bay? I bought some used parts for my '02 from a guy in Florida. Can't recall his name...had a wrecking yard and lots of ATV stuff.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Checked my history.....his username on E-bay is "topsmotorsports".

·
11,156 Posts
Hey Southern, the short answer is NO. The newer machines with simple ball bearings also have a central Hilliard. The machine you have has the Hilliards in the hubs. Unless its just totally destroyed you should be able to knock the races out and replace them...they will come with the bearings.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I might have one on a 1998 Sportsman 500 4x4. IDK if it is the same. Do some checking it might work. Send me a PM if it will fit.
There is a salvage yard in Booneville,MS = Mike's ATV salvage. They might have one also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks!! and yeah mine has the hillard in the hub, and i just went and looked at it and tried knocking the races out and i managed to get the outer one out but the inner one is in there prety good, the explosion of roller bearings banging around in there while someone was trying to drive it has torn it up prety bad but it seems like if i find a way to get the last one out, i could throw new ones in. now that the outer one is out of the way, i could probly bring it into work and use a hydraulic press to get it out.
Yall have been real helpful thanks!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts