Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2002 Sportsman 700 today. The previous owner stated he had replaced the front diff cage and bearings along with a tune up. It needs the boot between the air box and carb replaced too. So far I've run into an issue with the 4WD not engaging. The light in the switch lights up but thats about all I can tell is happening. The speedo lights up, reads the correct gear and toggles through hours and miles with no problem. Of course the P.O. didn't have any manuals so still trying to figure out the different settings in the speedometer too. As far as the 4WD, is there a good way to test if the right front speed sensor is working or if there is a way to test the wires to the front diff? Other things to check while I'm in there?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just picked up a 2002 Sportsman 700 today. The previous owner stated he had replaced the front diff cage and bearings along with a tune up. It needs the boot between the air box and carb replaced too. So far I've run into an issue with the 4WD not engaging. The light in the switch lights up but thats about all I can tell is happening. The speedo lights up, reads the correct gear and toggles through hours and miles with no problem. Of course the P.O. didn't have any manuals so still trying to figure out the different settings in the speedometer too. As far as the 4WD, is there a good way to test if the right front speed sensor is working or if there is a way to test the wires to the front diff? Other things to check while I'm in there?
If you didn't know....You can download the owners manuals at Polaris.com

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you didn't know....You can download the owners manuals at Polaris.com

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yup, just got it downloaded. The first link I tried didn't have 2002 as a model year to choose from but found the correct link eventually.

·
Registered
676 Posts
does your speedo work when your driving it???? if so then the sensor is fine, if not then change it...as far as your AWD working if your light is working then I would say all good I have found that changing the fluid in front diff will help usually when it gets dirty the magnet sometimes doesn't engage try that it that if that doesn't work then it's a internal problem..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, the speedo works when I spin the front tire. I ended up putting it up on stands and slowly running it, the 4 wheel drive engaged but clunked in pretty hard. I'm guessing the front diff oil needs to be changed since the previous owner was just in there, which I'll do this weekend. The left and right output yokes have a lot end play in them, not sure if thats normal or what. The more I dig into this wheeler the more I am find it was abused or sunk and never taken care of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts